Options

UMUC, it's programs and which one to take & certs?

ITguy85ITguy85 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently in the military (as an IT doing SysAdmin and Help desk stuff) I have A+ and Sec+ working on my CCNA.
So I'm looking at enrolling at UMUC and taking their BS in Cyber Security or Computer Networking and Security program. And what i was wondering if anyones knows if this college and these programs are worth my time and money, I will more then likely follow the program untill i have my MS.
Also as a side question, what do you think holds more weight college or certs??
I know i want to get my CISSP and Ethical Hacking.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't help you with the UMUC question but the debate between college and certs has raged on forever and likely will never end. I feel that longer term the college is more worth it. College doesn't expire. High level certs are great, they can get you interviews and jobs too, but unless you maintain them a lot of them go away after a few years. Also, some companies will filter applicants by whether they have a BS or not as their first wave of picking candidates, no point in giving them a reason to rule you out. For example, my last interview, the IT director told me he didn't have any certs because they didn't matter in his role so he didn't really care about them but was impressed that I had recently completed my degree. One of the other guys interviewing asked me a bunch of questions about my certs, you never really know what a company will value.

In the end.. both.
  • Options
    g33k247g33k247 Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UMUC is a fine school. They're a leader with their cybersecurity programs, and their networking program is pretty good, too. In fact, their cyber competition team (made up of active students) just took the world championship. UMUC caters to the military and the flexibility of their online learning environment, coupled with 8-week sessions probably fits your job/life demands.
    Goals: MCSA Server 2016 (70-743), AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals, OSCP, KLCP.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Interesting question and answer from 1-post users that are very specific to a single program.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be fair, the answer was posted by someone who registered in 2011 and has likely been the longest running lurker yet. Doesn't seem shady to me.
  • Options
    ITguy85ITguy85 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for you input! I really appreciate it. I only have a couple years left and I’m trying to set myself up as best as I can you know!
  • Options
    asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    Sometimes people don't go looking for forums until they hit a problem.