Options

Need some feedback

dtdellboydtdellboy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Morning All,
I need some feedback on my next steps in study planning. I have been working in Networking for over 10+ years and that's my main strength. However i have been gradually moving on to projects that both involve networking and server/networking virtualization. The most recent project i completed was on Openstack where i was able to go to Redhat classes and i will be taking the Redhat Openstack administration exam pretty soon. I have a new projects lined up for Microsoft Azure/Hyper-V as well as more Opensatck work that i will start working from the new year.

Now i do not plan to stay with my current employer for long. I would like to get some feedback on what skills (or certs) will add more value to networking experience i have ? I have been out of the job market for over 10 years and not quite sure if Openstack/RHCE will add more value vs Microsoft MCSE. I have multiple CCIEs and VCP , and not so much worried about getting the certs but more on learning skills that i can use day to day.

I know my situation is very specific and may not have a direct answer. I am not sure if there any roles that require someone to know both networking and Linux/Windows at the same time. Nevertheless i thought i would ask anyways.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is a strange situation for sure. Is any of your networking knowledge current or did you remove yourself from the industry before the internet and current networks were developed?

I have no advice for your next path but using your previous experience you should be able to determine what interests you. I would start their and browse the job boards to see what skills are in demand.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    dtdellboydtdellboy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. Yes my networking knowledge is current, although VCP is expired. I have been moving to network virtualization/cloud starting about couple of years ago anticipating software will finally take over the hardware in networking. My work ever since been 50/50 on networking and servers/os/virtualization. I like Openstack/Linux again anticipating opensource will prevail at the end. However at least for now it seems Microsoft cloud is picking up pace.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    dtdellboy wrote: »
    However at least for now it seems Microsoft cloud is picking up pace.
    My money is on VMware for medium to large environments.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I think you have enough skills that whatever job you get, you can learn on the spot. Your situation is unique, but if I were you, I'd target design/architect type positions where you can leverage BOTH your networking (multiple CCIEs) and Server/Virtualization. I wouldn't move to a 100% server position, I'd still milk the extensive networking that you have.

I wouldn't bother with certifications to be honest, at this point I don't think your really *need* them, but if you must, RHCE is a valuable cert to have anyway.

Adding business knowledge, presales, management, security, and project management skills can be valuable as well.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtdellboy: You anticipate software taking over hardware networking. Is this in your career path or in general? If general, how distant in the future?

While I can't offer suggestions, as I'm currently trying to get my first IT position. I have a strong focus on networking first, virtualization a close second, storage a distant third. It would be nice to know if pursuing networking may lead to a job shortage in the near future.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)