Options

Staples Certified Technician - Entry Level?

fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there, I have an upcoming interview this Tuesday at Staples for a Certified Technician position, the job says the A+ Certification isn't necessarily required but is recommended. I have currently taken and passed the A+ 801 and studying for the 802 which i will take in the next 2 weeks. Has anyone on here ever worked for Staples as any kind of technician? What is the job like? and what kind of interview questions will they ask?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're most likely going to be dealing with hardware, malware, and Windows issues. If I were you I'd finish the A+ and get to work on the Security+. If I were taking a job at a place like Staples for a position like that, I'd want to emphasize my understanding of malware and its removal.

As far as interviews go, Glassdoor can be a great resource for job hunters.

Staples Interview Questions | Glassdoor
  • Options
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    You're most likely going to be dealing with hardware, malware, and Windows issues. If I were you I'd finish the A+ and get to work on the Security+. If I were taking a job at a place like Staples for a position like that, I'd want to emphasize my understanding of malware and its removal.

As far as interviews go, Glassdoor can be a great resource for job hunters.

Staples Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Almost done reviewing for the 802 part of the A+ will definitely check out the Security+ after, I also checked the interviews seems as though they don't ask many tech questions just basic retail interview questions... while some say there are some basic A+ A lot of stuff must be learned on site is what I am feeling.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm sure customer service matters more to them then flat out tech skills.. Soft and people skills... sale them
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sure customer service matters more to them then flat out tech skills.. Soft and people skills... sale them

I'd assume this also. As long as he shows interest in technology and the ability to learn, the customer service is going to be key here.
  • Options
    Got hired on the spot! seems like a great company, our location is relatively small out here!
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of times, these type of job titles are barely more than glorified sales associates who also work on computer issues a small percentage of the time. I did that for several years in my youth working for a Staples competitor.

Be careful getting stuck in those types of positions for too long. Study and lab in your free time while working and get out of there as quickly as you can. Better yet, earn your bachelor's degree while you work. (WGU would be a great choice for this)

Do report back to us regarding your actual daily job duties as soon as you get established. I'm curious to know.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    A lot of times, these type of job titles are barely more than glorified sales associates who also work on computer issues a small percentage of the time. I did that for several years in my youth working for a Staples competitor.

Be careful getting stuck in those types of positions for too long. Study and lab in your free time while working and get out of there as quickly as you can. Better yet, earn your bachelor's degree while you work. (WGU would be a great choice for this)

Do report back to us regarding your actual daily job duties as soon as you get established. I'm curious to know.

That's what I am feeling about the job although there will be some tech work, I guess the majority of it is handled internally through the "Matrix" something that staples uses to fix software issues relatively easy. Although I could end up becoming On-Site and travel to costumer and business to help with their needs. But hopefully by the summer I will be looking into a Help Desk job for an Insurance Company just want the experience first, as this is technically my first Tech Job. Nothing new to me as I used to sell computers at Best Buy and was quite good.

As for school where I am in Western Massachusetts there is only a Community College that offers Computer IT & Security so I will be doing that, and for bachelors I believe the only school would be out in Rhode Island.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @fcp4life, look at wgu.edu. It's entirely online, and many, many people on this board have found value with their tech degrees.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to work at staples as a certified PC technician. Let me tell you its all about sales and you don't actually work with the PC's. The leads only get to touch the PC's and they have you do everything else with scripts if you get to do anything at all. The Matrix is the tool they use to remove the viruses that are on the customers PC's. Then once the computers are connected to the matrix and have done most of the work, another technician will remote in and do the virus removal for you. 80% of the time you are standing around, selling technology, and helping other customers find other products through out the store. You have to sell anti virus software plans and technology in order to stay on the team. If your scores drop then they immediately transfer you to a different department. I went there because I needed money at the time before going back to school and finishing my Bachelors of Science in IT. I found I was loosing my skills by working there and I watched so many other employees get the sales because they lied to their customers about the virus plans.

Overall being a Staples PC technician was a joke so I leave it off my resume. You are there to sell technology and not to work on computers. The test has nothing to do with the A+ and has everything to do with selling technology. If you are not good at sales then you will not do well there. Pass up that opportunity and work at a helpdesk or as a move technician. You actually get to deal with technology at those jobs.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ That is what I suspected.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Srabiee,

Before that I was a Help Desk Analyst for 2 years but because of my schedule I can't get an evening job until I graduate. That is why I am just finishing my Bachelors degree and then I will get another Help Desk job once I am done. Its not worth it to be at Staples. I have been concentrating on getting recommendations and endorsements for my linkedin profile from the Help Desk job that I spent the most time at. More beneficial to me in the long run. Hopefully this guy figures this out quick and just goes for a help desk or move technician job.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    When I first read the title of this thread I thought wow a certification from staples for being a technician? I was like well, I've seen it all then I realized it was for a position...
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I used to work at staples as a certified PC technician. Let me tell you its all about sales and you don't actually work with the PC's. The leads only get to touch the PC's and they have you do everything else with scripts if you get to do anything at all. The Matrix is the tool they use to remove the viruses that are on the customers PC's. Then once the computers are connected to the matrix and have done most of the work, another technician will remote in and do the virus removal for you. 80% of the time you are standing around, selling technology, and helping other customers find other products through out the store. You have to sell anti virus software plans and technology in order to stay on the team. If your scores drop then they immediately transfer you to a different department. I went there because I needed money at the time before going back to school and finishing my Bachelors of Science in IT. I found I was loosing my skills by working there and I watched so many other employees get the sales because they lied to their customers about the virus plans.

Overall being a Staples PC technician was a joke so I leave it off my resume. You are there to sell technology and not to work on computers. The test has nothing to do with the A+ and has everything to do with selling technology. If you are not good at sales then you will not do well there. Pass up that opportunity and work at a helpdesk or as a move technician. You actually get to deal with technology at those jobs.

Figured this and never worked for Staples before.

Once I was in line to fax something overseas and there was an older woman and her teenage daughter in front of me. Their laptop had some issues after the daughter tried to pirate some music. Long story short, they ended up being suckered into a $100 virus removal, warranty, and get this...a cleaning which was nothing more than a shot of compressed air. After all the little add on services and fixes the rep managed to bait and hook them for, it came out to about $250....Not to mention the services would take 2 days.

I thought about interrupting and letting them know that I could do it for them in 20 minutes and for $15, but some people have to learn the hard way.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked as a technician. It is the only 'official' tech job I have ever had but I have absolutely no intention of including it on my resume because it is nothing but selling protection plans, norton 360, and keeping the floors stocked. You are expected to take care of your customers AND get all the stock put out AND maybe work on some computers. You might install some hardware and software but nothing at all major.

It truly is a joke. however - it is money.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    It is some experience I can get and they work around my hours, however I am most likely going to attempt to find a Help Desk internship or job probably the best bet.
  • Options
    The story with me is that I am currently in school for Criminal Justice but as the job outlook isn't that great, I decided to switch up my major to the Information Technology & Security Associate Degree starting next semester so I am taking the time now and self studying... they offer at the community college... Just wondering what would be the best to focus in on after? the IT field can be broad but there are areas of significance which one of those have the best outlooks? Also how difficult is a Entry Help Desk Job? sorry if these questions seem dumb, hoping to just get some answers.