Options

Passed the SSCP

McNinjaMcNinja Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

I passed the SSCP this past weekend and just wanted to give my thoughts on the test, especially compared to the Security+. I also have the Net+ and A+, so that background helped understanding the few networking concepts they introduced.

I used the Darril Gibson All-In-One... well, most of it. I didn't give myself enough time to finish the book, so thursday I had to read 3.5 chapters, then friday I attempted to read the rest, but ended up only being able to read 1.5 chapters, so the last two chapters of the book went unread. Lesson learned for when I take the CASP in December: read the WHOLE book before taking the exam.

Compared to the Security+
The two exams share a lot of the same material, so if you study for one you could feasibly pass the other. The only differences between the exams are the CompTIA-standard simulation questions and the Code of Ethics question(s) on the SSCP exam. On the Sec+ the simulations are what got me, but since the SSCP is purely multiple choice it was a lot easier for me.

In short, get the book, read the book. If you don't have any experience with security or networking, you might need to take notes and google things you don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lesson learned for when I take the CASP in December: read the WHOLE book before taking the exam.

The CASP is by far the most challenging of the three (SY0-401, SSCP, CAS-001).

If you don't the material, you will fail.

Congrats on your pass.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    It is interesting how most of CompTIA's "+" exams seem to have evolved to the mid-level in content and complexity. I have a feeling CompTIA will continue to use the word "Essentials" for their new certs that are truly entry level.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Lexcorp6Lexcorp6 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the Security+ end of Sept (23rd), just finished Gibsons AIO. I am about to start reading the book again and take notes. I am wondering if I am over studying. I feel like videos would really solidify my studying efforts. Any tips?
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Congrats, McNinja!
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It is interesting how most of CompTIA's "+" exams seem to have evolved to the mid-level in content and complexity. I have a feeling CompTIA will continue to use the word "Essentials" for their new certs that are truly entry level.

I agree, C-TIA looks like they are actually stepping up the knowledge for these certs.

OP congrats BTW!