Options

Net+ harder than A+?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
For people who have both certs which test did you find more difficult? I know A+ takes more time to study for being two tests, but as far as context and how the questions were presented, which was more difficult?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Matt_Smi wrote:
    For people who have both certs which test did you find more difficult? I know A+ takes more time to study for being two tests, but as far as context and how the questions were presented, which was more difficult?

Neither is difficult if it is something you work with. They are both CompTIA exams, I found them pretty equal. Though I had a number of years working with both Hardware/OS/NOS and Networks before I ever realized the exams existed.

Both are vender neutral, so you won't see specific vendor questions on either exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought N+ was more challenging because you had to know interpretabilities between OS's and know some material for each OS -UNIX, Mac OS, Windows, and Novell.

Good luck.
  • Options
    0828608286 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi there :D

From what I recall I felt that the A+ was harder than the Network+. I did score 100% on one A+ test and as for the Network+ I scored 96%.

It is true that you will have to study more for the A+ as it has two exams rather than just the one as is the case with the Network+. You will find however that you have to recall a lot more things for the A+ than you do for the Network+.

As for the style of questioning I felt that the Network+ had more shorter sentence questions compared to the A+ but I wouldn't sweat over these exams as the passing score isn't really very high. I think you have to get around 55% to pass the A+ exams. So as long as you are scoring around 90-95% on all the practice tests you have access to and have a good resource to study from then you should be fine. That's the technique I use and it has served me well.

Before I forget: get the exam objectives from www.comptia.org for exam test and work your way thorough everything. Anything that you feel you haven't covered then just post a question on this site and do a search on google and see if that can give you the infomation providing your study guide doesn't do the job for you.

Good luck with your studies and your exams and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The network+ is easier than the A+, being that it is only one test and covers pretty basic material. Most people that get it are going into networking or need the basic foundation required to earn the certificate.

CompTIA certs are a piece of cake once you start taking Cisco or Microsoft exams, so don't feel too pressured by it. Just study the material, take some practice tests and go get it. But you definately don't want to skip it.

I passed them all in one go, but I know some people who have had trouble with them. If you fail, it's not a big deal. You walk away with some testing experience and know what it is you need to work on.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I found Network+ to be easier than A+. However, I took my Network+ exam while I was at the Cisco Networking Academy. So, needless to say, it was a piece of cake because of all the networking information I learned while preparing for my CCNA. :D
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too found Network+ easier than A+ but I took the 2002 objectives so I do not know how the newer objectives stack up to the older ones as far as difficulty.
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight, I already took A+ hardware about a mouth ago and got a 784, I thought that the test was fairly easy, much easier than I thought it would be anyway. I am taking OS in two weeks or so and I am not too worried about it but still nervous. After than I will probably take Net+ and then move onto MS tests. But I guess I should not hype myself up too much for Net+…
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I thought net+ was easier.
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote:
    I too found Network+ easier than A+ but I took the 2002 objectives so I do not know how the newer objectives stack up to the older ones as far as difficulty.

I have taken and passed both the older Network+ (2002 objectives) and the newer Network+ (beta) exams. I found the new version to be more difficult than the older one. However, in my humble opinion, I still found it easier than the A+ exam.
  • Options
    sonicboysonicboy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    porengo wrote:
    TeKniques wrote:

I have taken and passed both the older Network+ (2002 objectives) and the newer Network+ (beta) exams. I found the new version to be more difficult than the older one. However, in my humble opinion, I still found it easier than the A+ exam.
    care to explain what do you mean by Network+ (beta) exams? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Last year CompTIA wanted to test their new (Beta) version of the Network+ exam (which is now the current exam). For a limited time, they offered the Beta exam for free so they could evaluate and tweek questions covering the newer objectives. Those that passed the beta exam were awarded the Network+ certification under the new objectives.
  • Options
    sonicboysonicboy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    porengo wrote:
    Last year CompTIA wanted to test their new (Beta) version of the Network+ exam (which is now the current exam). For a limited time, they offered the Beta exam for free so they could evaluate and tweek questions covering the newer objectives. Those that passed the beta exam were awarded the Network+ certification under the new objectives.
    oic. :)
  • Options
    ciberdude2ciberdude2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought A+ was harder than the Net+, not sure if it was because I the A+ is two tests but I feel that if you have some experience working with networks you should not have any problems. If not just study, take the practice test and review and practice and you should be ok. Know you DNS stuff and diagnostic commands and you should be ok. Don't forget wireless!
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    well bearing in mine A+ was the first cert i ever did.......i was nervous as heck by the time i got around ot Net+ i already had MCP unda ma belt so it was a piece of cake and not to mention i studied from an outta date book and still scored in d 800s