Options

Updated Resume Anyone Mind Having a Look?

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,I have been at the help desk for about 2.5 years and I am going to be making a push to take my career to the next level. With that I have updated my resume to try and reflect my most recent experience and show potential employers that I am ready for the next step. Note that I had to save it in Doc format to upload, in Docx it is compressed to one page and looks much cleaner overall. If any of you fine folks could take a look and provide feedback it would be greatly appreciated :). Thanks!

Sanatized_Resume_2014 - Copy.doc
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Lose the background color on your name at the top of your resume and redo your name so its "first last". Positioning of your name would look cleaner centered, but everyone has their own flair. I suggest removing the Summary section; I've never needed one on a resume and I think they're useless. This will allow you to put more info for your associate tech analyst position, while limiting your resume to one page. Place your certifications on the top of the resume, followed by your technical skills, then experience. Other than that I like your resume and the way you split up the sections with those lines (makes it look clean).
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Think you may have a typo in your summary of your current job. "...600+ user base from sites around the work in resolving..". Did you mean world? Other than that, I liked it, overall. I'd like to see a bit more information about technology you used and how and the value you brought to the organization. For example, did your networking equipment monitoring with Orion prevent an outage? Save money?

What type of position are you looking for? Help Desk, Sys Admin, NOC or ?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes I did mean world, thanks for pointing that out, I would like to get in to the networking side of things. I may take a NOC position but I'm really gunning for a mid-level position here. I am realizing as I go that I am having a lot of trouble outlining my experience with my current job as while I am in a bigger environment my responsibilities are much less here as this is corporate helpdesk and what I was doing before was tier 1/2 helpdesk and some field work for a small MSP, I saw dollar signs and jumped ship, a move I am regretting now.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try to elaborate on the experience you have working with networking equipment or next-level stuff.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Previous job descriptions should be written in past tense. The current job description can be written in either present tense or past tense. My personal preference is to write the entire job description section in past tense.

This resume needs to be a single page.

For each job description, I recommend that you give a high-level overview for each job (daily duties and responsibilities, technologies used on a regular basis, etc), and then use bullet-points to highlight projects, special achievements, etc.

Please make some corrections and upload an updated copy of your resume.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can add more to your resume it seem as if all you do is manage passwords and backups.