Options

IT recruiter interviews with unfit positions

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I currently have 2 interviews setup with large recruiter companies. First one, is from a company that offered me an unfit pressurized call center position last week, I never followed up with them. This week a recruiter contacted me about a job opportunity that's a below average fit for me and a longer than I'd like commute but it's off hours so traffic shouldn't be bad. It's a 6 month temp to hire position that seems like a fairly comfortable, relaxing environment and the pay is above average.

The other is a skype interview that never mentioned a job but they are prominent and list various levels of positions around here and the interviewer was very comfortable to talk to over the phone.

The way I understand it if I interview with these recruiters they will put me in a pool and try to find a good fit for me, is this true? Is it also true that if I turn down a company interview for the first job they will still look for good fits for me?

Someone mentioned last week on these forums that even if I don't like the job it's good to get the interview experience which is something I really need and taking it as great advice after thinking about it.
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To answer your first question, yes. The recruiter want to make sure you are professional, personable (to an extent ;) ) and can be presented to their client.

As to your second question, yes, but be careful. You have to know what you want in your search for a job. If you are specific in your scope and cannot find a job, it maybe harder to widen your searching perspective in the future.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing you need to realize about recruiting companies is they are part outsourced HR and part sales. If they fill the position, they get the commission. Your drive time and long term "fit" is irrelevant to most of them.

It is your responsibility as a job seeker to know what you are looking, your salary range, how long you want to commute, the job role you want and don't want to be in. If you don't give them constraints they will throw everything at you. Personally, I make them send me a job description and pay range for review.

60-80% of the jobs they have you can probably find online through InDeed, LinkedIn or Dice if you want skip some of the BS.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    I found this one online before the recruiter contacted me and thought a few minutes about it before I decided to skip it. I'm skipping a lot lately, if I don't see mention of networking and within 20 miles I pass on it. Also nice to see some advancement into a strictly networking role within the company but that research isn't always possible.

I've already decided to decline the job the recruiter called me about if offered. The job is about 25 miles away and it does mention networking but it's mostly internal office workers that call in which would be a lot of ms office troubleshooting. Is there any advantage to doing the interview other than practice? He said he wants to get a feel for what I want and a face to face interview would be the best way to do it. Is this a pressure technique?

What I was thinking is the interview could lead to more relevant job offers from the recruiting company. Is this still true if I'm offered and declined or do they give up on me?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to doing the interview other than practice? He said he wants to get a feel for what I want and a face to face interview would be the best way to do it. Is this a pressure technique?

I don't buy that. You aren't interviewing with the recruiter but with the company that is under the impression that you want the job. How is interviewing with a different company going to help the recruiter get a feel for what you want? I could be reading it wrong but I'm seeing it as the recruiter just trying to throw applicants at a position until one of them accepts and the recruiter gets paid.

As another posted mentioned, it is the recruiter's job to get a body in there. Some of them are more ethical than others. I've been working with a decent one that just lowered his own cut dramatically to get me in the position I wanted when the company wouldn't increase what they were paying. You'll find plenty of others who like BS you just to fill the position.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found this one online before the recruiter contacted me and thought a few minutes about it before I decided to skip it. I'm skipping a lot lately, if I don't see mention of networking and within 20 miles I pass on it. Also nice to see some advancement into a strictly networking role within the company but that research isn't always possible.

That's good, you have some search criteria to work with.
    I've already decided to decline the job the recruiter called me about if offered. The job is about 25 miles away and it does mention networking but it's mostly internal office workers that call in which would be a lot of ms office troubleshooting. Is there any advantage to doing the interview other than practice?

If you aren't interested don't waste your time. I would just reply back to the email: "Thanks for the consideration but I'll pass. I am only interested in opportunities that are under 20 miles from here I live and involve networking".
    He said he wants to get a feel for what I want and a face to face interview would be the best way to do it. Is this a pressure technique? What I was thinking is the interview could lead to more relevant job offers from the recruiting company. Is this still true if I'm offered and declined or do they give up on me?

If you already have a job offer him a weekend/evening face to face, a lunch interview that is close to your work or a phone interview. I give them options to fit my schedule, not the other way around. It is possible depending the company they may disqualify you but I really doubt it.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    I left a message asking for a breakdown of what the position would be troubleshooting and if it's not a good fit for me if it still makes sense to come in for the interview.

Just spoke to another recruiter and she said an interview with her is more like a screening process then an interview for the position. Once I interview with them it shouldn't have to be done again for awhile and that I'd be scheduled to interview with the company instead. This is what I was expecting but some companies might work different. She also said they fill most positions in 24 hours, that could be very tough to get in with.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    With local recruiters, I will typically find some time to talk or meet with them so they know exactly what you want, but more importantly what you don't want. Often times they will expense the meal if you agree to meet during breakfast/lunch/happy hour times.

So, you need to figure out your exact requirements. You already mentioned a couple (within 20 miles, must involve networking), but go further and determine your salary requirements, full-time/part-time/contract/etc, full/partial/no benefits, and the list goes on. In addition, you can use this list of requirements to send to recruiters that are not local if they contact you for a job that is close, but not exactly what you are looking for. Save it as a draft so it's always ready to fire off.

Also, my #1 rule of posting my resume online--no phone number. I don't need people calling me at random times. If they want to talk, they can email. If I want to talk, we'll arrange a time.

Edit: Whoever +1'd...icon_thumright.gificon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I ended up going to the interview, it was the most comfortable one I've been in. Mainly because we spoke geek most of the time and could really relate to each other. I told him I was looking for something technical and this wasn't it, seemed basic troubleshooting with focus on customer service and documentation. I had turned down an interview with the same recruiting company last week because it wasn't a technical position. I met the guy I turned down today and he happened to be the boss, it was uncomfortable but I was able to apologize for not communicating with him. One thing the interviewer said I should never decline an interview as it looks bad but I also like to cut things short. What's the consensus on turning down a job before or after an interview?

Overall, it was a good experience but this place has nothing to offer me that would allow me to learn. They staff for 2 large companies that have potential to move up to higher tier support roles. I'll probably email them tomorrow saying it's not technical enough and wouldn't help me grow and maybe mention the long commute on snowy roads is not for me. The only good things about the position is it would look good on my resume and it's above average pay that's partially offset by gas prices. Should I tell them now or wait to see if I get a company interview?

No phone number would be something I'd consider but it's the common means of contact. Do you think opportunities are lost by excluding it?
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what you're experience level is or what not but a couple things stood out in your last post.

1. The only good things about the position is it would look good on my resume and it's above average pay that's partially offset by gas prices.
    2. They staff for 2 large companies that have potential to move up to higher tier support roles.

The biggest take away I've gotten during my job search, especially for entry level IT jobs, is that it's all about getting a foot in the door and getting some experience on a resume (#1). It may not be your dream job but no one is saying you have to stick around forever. Number 2 is a big one for me. If the higher tier support role is what you want than walk in the door, kick *** and take names, you'll find it to be easier than you think. In my current position, I have at least 4 coworkers who couldn't tell you what the OSI model is and probably can't even spell TCP/IP, which is sad considering we work in a network operations environment. Downtime for them is spent watching youtube and reading buzzfeed articles. I on the other hand always have a cert book in front of me or I'm doing some sort of research on an alarm to get a better understanding of whats going on. I'm just an intern and I do the same workload as some of my seniors. The key here is that there are plenty of people out there who are perfectly content in the position they are in and that's fine but if you want to advance, don't be content. Like I said earlier, kick *** and take names.

Apologize for the rant but just wanted to give my 2 cents. I was dealing with the same situation about this time last year. Posting resumes and getting calls from recruiters for semi technical positions a couple times a week. We're from the same area so we've probably dealt with the same recruiters and I can understand your job search frustrations.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    I have no experience and I don't have any plans for higher tier help desk position. I'm aiming for networking and there seems very little to no networking involved at this job. It's mainly printer, ms office, general windows issues. Tier 1 isn't even expected to touch cli, just basic is it plugged in, if so, escalate to tier 2.

If it was in network operations I would be ecstatic to get in but unfortunately it seems more like a customer service job anyone with a little computer experience could do well at.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I've lived in 7 states since turning 18 and joining the military. I have been in or seeking employment in IT since around 2006. I can tell you that in my experience finding a straight "networking" job without a minimum of a CCNA and 2-3 years of experience are few and far between. The ones that I did come across were usually 3rd shift type sit and monitor jobs that you call someone if anything comes up. The route I, and many people I know took was doing help desk or break/fix type IT work to build up a resume while expanding certs and knowledge. Yes you primarily deal in customer server, but you gain "IT" experience. Keep working on certs and studying other material along the way and pretty soon you can get those "entry" level networking gigs that require 2-3 years of experience.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, I have skimmed over this post and I’m just wanted to share my 2 cents.
    1. It took my 3 years after graduating to find an IT job.
    You need to find someone to take a chance for on you.
    2. Not all recruiters are created equal!
    -A recruiter’s main job is to fill a position.
    --Some recruiters pursue this goal in different ways.
    ---I have met plenty of recruiters that pitch several jobs that don’t fit what I’m looking for in a position.
    However, I still listen to what they have to say. I think you can learn something from every interview. You never know when they may have found the right position for you.

3. Are you networking with friends, classmates, ect?
    Example--Hey I love tech and passionate about computer networking, do you know anyone that is hiring?
    4. Are just applying with recruiters? Do you apply with companies too?
    5. You say you want to work with networking, correct?
    Almost any tech job you get will deal with networking, not unless you’re boxing up computers and sending it to another state.
    6. Visit this site for job help:
    http://mikenation.net/2007/06/mike-tech-show-podcast-129-06-16-07.html
    7. Every IT job requires some sort of customer service.

End of Rant
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    While I'm not expecting or even applying for an exclusive networking job like network engineer, I do expect to get something that has a bit to do with networking, like troubleshooting connection issues. Also looking for places that have a chance to work with network guys or be promoted to networking. This seems to fit neither from what I know now but I am keeping it open and if invited will interview with the company in hopes to get a better feel for the job, and the experience helps. Also I can tell the recruiter was really working for me and that deserves some respect back. However if I do get hired and find it's not a good fit at all for me, is it ok to quit a 6 month contract job?

I don't have any friends in the industry but a few relatives that are higher levels but they all succeeded without education or certifications and aren't good examples for me. I've met a few nice guys here in the local area, there's a lot of twin cities people on this board, they have all, along with everyone else on this board have given me good direction.

I've only applied with a few recruiters and haven't received callbacks from them. The 4 that have contacted me saw my resume on job boards and decided to reach out to me. I apply for 10-25 jobs a week, anything that seems mildly interesting to me in the field, this has led to 4 interviews in the past 6 months. I stay away from the hotbed of IT jobs, southwest suburbs, it's too far of a drive for me, especially during traffic hour. I'd have to go through downtown or worse take the 94 loop. This takes away about half the job listings in the area currently.

I have only really been busting my tail for about 2 months and have felt overwhelmed juggling multiple job possibilities and have made some mistakes during the process but I'm learning from them. If this continues I'm hoping to be able to pick a job I want rather than have a job pick me, but maybe I'm hoping for too much. I'm not in a desperate situation and would rather do something that's going to be relevant to advancing my career for 1 month over the next 6 months instead of doing something that won't for 6 months.

For instance if I obtained a job like this and was pursuing a NOC job afterwards I don't think I would gain anything relevant other than what I already have, customer service experience. This is what's concerning me. Being promoted within the company might be a path but looking at their many listings there's one network and one virtualization position, both requiring 5+ years of experience with specific things, nothing else is interesting to me. I won't gain any experience with those things at higher tier help desk and it seems like a dead end. Maybe there's hope for internal listings.

Another thing is I have interviewed for MSP and NOC positions and while challenged, I felt I did a good job, especially at the NOC technical questions where I got 100% and N+ doesn't go into enough depth to answer some of the questions, my CCENT study helped there. Going from them to help desk interviews where anything technical is a wrong answer. Then have the interviewer say it's good you know that but we want you to say this and then escalate. Makes me seem overqualified for the position but others on this board say most have to go through it.
  • Options
    HiTekHiTek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice, get your foot in the door anywhere that you can. Working at a help desk, you'll coordinate with many different IT folks. You'll get tickets that involve network issues that you'll have to escalate to the network team. With time, you'll build relationships with these folks and if you have the certs and a solid work ethic, you may be able to network your way onto that team. Most IT folks began their careers at the help desk, and if you show your hunger (certs, education) they will give you a shot. Good luck.
  • Options
    Good point HiTek and while I don't know exactly where other tiers are located, I was told the role would work with 3 other tier 1's. This company is very widespread throughout the local area and there's at least 6 cities they are hiring in currently. Another thing is if I'm performing most tier 2 jobs and even helping them do things while in a contract I have to finish out that contract in tier 1 right?

2 months ago I would be excited to have been this far into a process but nowadays I have the other positions waiting in the back of my mind distracting me. I'm not bi-polar but I seem to go through a high when being approached for the position to really low after thinking about doing it for a few months. These are things I really need to stop doing.
  • Options
    If your working for a contractor it all depends. If other tiers are held by different contractors, you most definitely can get picked up. But if all tiers are held by the same contractor, it will be difficult but not impossible.
  • Options
    The higher tiers are hired contractors. The recruiter said contract to hire. I think I was passed over since I didn't hear anything from them even after I contacted them with an updated resume. They were hiring to start early next week.

I'm afraid I really don't have the personality for this type of role, I'm a technical serious type and have a tough time exerting enthusiasm. I've gotten along with everyone in previous non-IT roles and have been a successful leader. The help desks I've interviewed for seem to want a perma-smile salesman type rather than a person who gets things done correctly and efficiently. No technical questions just personality and behavioral questions and not being a good communicator those are the toughest questions for me to answer. It's odd because the few people I know in the IT field don't have big personalities but are very knowledgeable and they are doing just fine in upper level positions.

Will have to find an entry level IT role that cares more about technical knowledge then personality, any ideas? MSP I interviewed for seemed to care a lot about personality as well, so I'm leaning towards ruling those out as well.

Other roles like NOC tech and computer operators that don't require experience I don't get callbacks from. My resume is heavily themed towards customer service because I have years of experience with it. All recruiters, except one, have pushed help desk on me and tell me I can't get a technical role without that experience. Maybe my customer service themed resume is an issue?
  • Options
    In help desk you will deal with a lot of customers. Customer service experience is what got my foot in the door with no IT experience. So, customer service is a big deal. That may be something you should work on moving forward.
  • Options
    Customer service is the main focus on my resume and I do have 5+ years of successful customer service, even recognized for it. It's not something I like but understand I'll probably have to do it to get my foot in the door. What trips me up often is the behavioral and work experience questions. The former goes back to the personality issue, latter is difficult because it's been years since I've had a steady job, for good reason.