Options

Expected Waiting Period?

10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey TE,

I started my IT career a bit differently then some, so I have never gone through the typical job hiring process which may be the source of my concern. There was a job for a major state university in the area that I thought I would be a good fit for so I applied.

9 Oct - Apply though CareerBuilder
13 Oct - Job Offer formally Closes
20 Oct - No reply so I send my Resume/Cover letter/References directly to POC for Posting
21 Oct - They reply with an email and a link to a survey. Here is an exact excerpt: As part of our application process, we request that you provide information about your gender, race, ethnicity, disability, and veteran's status. This is to assist us in assessing our efforts to attract qualified, diverse applicants and to be consistent with federal and state laws and regulations. The information you provide is sent to the Office of Institutional Equity.

I fill out the survey giving all that information the same day. Then send a response email telling them I have completed it and would be happy to supply them with anything else they may need from me.

3 Nov - Still nothing

What do you think I should do?

Thanks everyone
CCNP R&S, Security+
B.S. Geography - Business Minor
MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
Professional Certificate - IT Project Management

Comments

• Options
    Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually am calling the company now if i am truly interested in the job. They usually let me know if they have recieved my resume. A friendly call wont hurt but don't call a bunch.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    email them again?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Generally with government/university type of positions, the process is a bit slow from what I have seen. I've applied to jobs at some in the past and a month later I finally get a call requesting an interview even though the closing date was well before that call. I'm guessing that the process they have is quite slow and there are lots of hoops for the managers to jump through.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I've applied for a number of government positions over the years. Varying branches from DOD to the VA to DFAS, as well as to some local colleges. As MDR stated, they are slow. With the gov't jobs I usually got an email response 2-3 months later stating I wasn't selected or what have you. The handful of times that I did interview with them it was anywhere from 4-6 months later. I had one position at the VA that I submitted the paperwork the day before the listing closed. I got a phone call 4 months later to come in for an interview. Did the interview and didn't hear anything for another 4 months. By that time I already had a great position. They offered me the job 8 months after I applied for it. So yeah they don't do anything in a hurry. The school jobs were a little better. I usually got a call/email within 2-3 weeks if I was considered for the position. If I wasn't I never heard anything back.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    People that I've known in universities have told me that typically the jobs are filled from referrals but they post them anyway. I applied to one awhile back, was totally qualified, I even got a referral from an honorary doctorate of the school and current employees and even then I didn't hear back. They both told me it was likely already filled but posted due to their requirements.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will probably give them a call today and see where it is at in the process. Thank you everyone for the imput.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management