Options

Resume with no experience

It's a general resume, trying to tweak it before I adjust it to a specific position. It's a bit light but I'm not sure what else to add.

NAME
Address:
Mobile: Email:

OBJECTIVE

Highly motivated individual with extensive knowledge of Cisco networking technologies and a willingness to learn new technologies is seeking an entry level network technician, junior admin, or NOC position within your organization so that I may utilize my skills and grow professionally within the organization.

TECHNICAL EXPERTISE

Systems: Windows 7, 8, and Cisco IOS
Networking: Termination of Cat5e and Cat6 cabling using industry’s best practices in datacenter cable management. Strong understanding of Cisco 2600xm, 2800, and 2900 series routers, along with 2900, 3500, and 3750 series switches. Proficient with protocols such as: RIPv2, OSPF, EIGRP, VLAN, STP, VTP, DHCP, DNS, SMTP, POP, NAT, ACL and IPV6.

CERTIFICATES

 CCENT - Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician
June 2014 – June 2017

 CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
October 2014 – October 2017

TECHNICAL EDUCATION
ACADEMIC INSTITUTION Location January 2014 - Present
 Extensive theory on CCNA topics and hands on experience with real hardware.
 Hundreds of hours of labs and topologies from simple to complex in the virtual networking environment GNS3.
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seriously, get rid of the objective and never use it again. It's just pointless. If you are applying for "Network Technician", that is your objective, it doesn't make sense to say that you want it when you're already applying for it, it's pretty obvious.

Instead, explain why you say you have "extensive knowledge". What make you think so? What have you done? Hope you get the point.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put the objectives somewhere near the end of the CV in a "About me" section rather then front and centre, which is where you should really be selling your competency, rather then your motivation (save that for the end of the CV and the interview!).
  • Options
    StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    yzT wrote: »
    seriously, get rid of the objective and never use it again. It's just pointless. If you are applying for "Network Technician", that is your objective, it doesn't make sense to say that you want it when you're already applying for it, it's pretty obvious.

Instead, explain why you say you have "extensive knowledge". What make you think so? What have you done? Hope you get the point.

That's an excellent point, will make those changes now.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Have you never had a job? Even if all you did was walk around the neighborhood mowing lawns you can put that with relevant skills on your resume. Flipping burgers? Then you worked well under pressure during peak hours. Having zero jobs listed isn't a good idea unless you literally have never had a job.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhh that first IT resume, it is full of some many dreams. If I was you I would leave out all the crap after academic education, leave that stuff for a hobby if you get interview or on the resume as a hobby. If you attended a Cisco Academy put it in your educational experience. Also you must had a prior job , customer service skills and team work is huge for your first gig. Also you have your CCNA so why do you have your CCENT listed? I see a bunch of protocols listed do not be afraid to list them as their network standards too.
  • Options
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    Have you never had a job? Even if all you did was walk around the neighborhood mowing lawns you can put that with relevant skills on your resume. Flipping burgers? Then you worked well under pressure during peak hours. Having zero jobs listed isn't a good idea unless you literally have never had a job.

Technically, I have had a job, a temp job, but it was my first job in warehousing that lasted only about 4 months. Other than that, I occasionally help family members with some technical problems here and there.
  • Options
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    Ahhh that first IT resume, it is full of some many dreams. If I was you I would leave out all the crap after academic education, leave that stuff for a hobby if you get interview or on the resume as a hobby. If you attended a Cisco Academy put it in your educational experience. Also you must had a prior job , customer service skills and team work is huge for your first gig. Also you have your CCNA so why do you have your CCENT listed? I see a bunch of protocols listed do not be afraid to list them as their network standards too.

Hmm, yea I probably should remove CCENT. I didn't think to list the standards, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    In your entire life you have had only 1 job for 4 months? The job does not have to be related to IT. If you literally have not then you need to format your resume as such. Take a look at the links below to give you some guidance.

Careers | No Experience? Here's the Perfect Resume | LiveCareer

Resume For Job Seeker With No Experience - Business Insider

6 Tips For A No-Experience Resume