Newbie questions

apollookcapollookc Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi. I posted the following questions at the official Juniper's discussion group but nobody bothered to answer.
I recently downloaded the latest Firefly version to use with VMware Workstation for practice purposes. I have the following questions:

a) I'm confused about Telnet's "Maximum number of allowed connections" and "Maximum number of connections per minute". According to this link the range in both options is (1..255) but in my case it's only (1..5). Is this happening because I don't use the real gear or I have to configure something?

b) Which is the command that I can use to view the current configuration of the plain-text password in this format: e.g.
passwords {
change-type character-sets;
format md5;
minimum-changes 1;
minimum-length 6;
}

I used the "Show" command but there wasn't any reference to the password configuration, other that this:
root-authentication {
encrypted-password "$1$XxIcBhQ0$.fgcEYrT7N93aBpLCx3ks."; ## SECRET-DATA

c) My last question is about the format options I can use with the "set system login password format" command. How many are the supported formats in Junos: 2 (MD5, SHA1) or 5 (MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512 and DES as it is stated here)?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a) This is typically platform and code dependent. You're looking at a guide for the M/MX/PTX/T series running Junos 13.3.

b) You can't. Passwords are hashed and not saved as plain-text. Would not be very secure for you to just view everyone's password. The exception to this being some protocol passwords can be reversed. Passwords would need to be showing as $9$ at the start.

c) Again, platform and code dependent. Some device will let me configure MD5, SHA1, DES, whiles others only let me do MD5 and SHA1. You're looking at a guide for the M/MX/PTX/T series running Junos 13.3 where they added the extra SHA hashes. This may not be the case on the SRX code you are currently running.
  • apollookcapollookc Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    zoidberg wrote: »
    a) This is typically platform and code dependent. You're looking at a guide for the M/MX/PTX/T series running Junos 13.3.

b) You can't. Passwords are hashed and not saved as plain-text. Would not be very secure for you to just view everyone's password. The exception to this being some protocol passwords can be reversed. Passwords would need to be showing as $9$ at the start.

c) Again, platform and code dependent. Some device will let me configure MD5, SHA1, DES, whiles others only let me do MD5 and SHA1. You're looking at a guide for the M/MX/PTX/T series running Junos 13.3 where they added the extra SHA hashes. This may not be the case on the SRX code you are currently running.

Thank you for your answer. My second question was not about viewing the plain-text passwords after they are encrypted but to find the default configuration parameters. I discovered that its possible to view them with the command "show configuration groups junos-defaults" :)