Options

Newbie question on passwords

tranceplantetranceplante Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone.

I'm new to networking and I started taking a class in college (night time) to eventually take the CCNA certification. I'm now to my 3rd class meaning I had about 8 hours of class yet.

Anyway my question was regarding passwords set up in the cisco switch/router. I'm having a hard time understanding the many different types of password.

First i type in this command:

Router2#configure terminal
Router2(config)#enable password mypassword

Second is here:
Router2(config)#enable password mypassword
Router2(config)#enable secret mysecretpassword

So what does that mean exactly? DO I have now two passwords to get in? or it was overwritten?

I am asking because the exercise is asking me to enter two passwords. One normal and one with the secret.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Enable password is in clear text, whereas the enable secret is not. When you perform the enable secret command, then it uses that as the default over the enable password.
  • Options
    tranceplantetranceplante Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks mate! I'm new to all of this, but I really enjoy it... so far!

cheers!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great people on here so stick around.

There will be a lot of passwords for different things. As you practice they will just become normal. I suggest setting a simple password and using it for all of your studies. I usually used cisco for just about everything. Just try to stay consistent it will help you a bunch.

When I first started I would be creative and forget the passwords when I went back to packet tracer a week later. So on my home lab I put the switch name and password in the login message. It's all overwhelming at first but it gets better.
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with markulous. enable password
    #enable password mypassword /this password is in clear text
    #enable secret mysecretpassword /this password is encrypted
    #service password-encryption /this is used to encrypt all remaining passwords
    you can use #show running-configuration to verify if the passwords are set