Options

GIAC GSEC passed

Sir AaronSir Aaron Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm glad that's over. SANS 401 plus the tests seemed to occupy most of my time for the last two months. I took the entire 5 hours and got what I would consider a mediocre score of 93%.

The exam seemed particularly heavy on certain subjects. There were several times that I had back to back questions from the same part of the same book.

I also hated the screenshot questions. Way to time intensive. Thought about skipping most of them, but it only help to skip question before you take your restroom break (I really had to go!).

Comments

• Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What study material did you use?
    congrats!!
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The exam (as well as 401) is a very good learning stretch for most people. 93% is quite mediocre if you must make 100%. But practically 93% is quite good. I got the same score when I took my exam. You've crossed the threshold of 90% which means you get to be part of the SANS Advisory Board list.

GIAC has been putting more screenshot-analysis oriented questions on their exams and I think it's a good thing since usually it requires collaborating different subject domains into a combined focus for the question.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I got a 93.8% on the GSEC exam. I topped both of you! ;)
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doh! It hurts. It hurts so bad. Mine was actually 93.33%, but still...
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    realPSI wrote: »
    What study material did you use?
    congrats!!

I was originally supposed to attend the SANS 401 bootcamp, but I had knee surgery and couldn't make it. I had the training converted to OnDemand. So I had that plus the book that came with it. I did buy Eric Cole's book and a GSEC guide but didn't even crack the cover of the former and used very little of the latter. So mostly I just used the book that came with the SANS401 course.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »

I believe the exam now has scores using whole percentage points now. None of my practice exams nor the exam itself ever displayed my score with a decimal.
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    The exam (as well as 401) is a very good learning stretch for most people. 93% is quite mediocre if you must make 100%. But practically 93% is quite good. I got the same score when I took my exam. You've crossed the threshold of 90% which means you get to be part of the SANS Advisory Board list.

GIAC has been putting more screenshot-analysis oriented questions on their exams and I think it's a good thing since usually it requires collaborating different subject domains into a combined focus for the question.

The problem is that many of the screenshots were not based on any tools that were used in the lab. I had never seen many of the screenshots that appeared on the exam. I am also biased against those questions because they took a lot longer to answer.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

You overachiever! :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed