Options

What jobs can I get?

If I'm 18, have my high school diploma and the A+/Net+/Security+/CCENT certifications and don't plan on starting college right away and willing to relocate anywhere in the US, what entry level IT jobs can I get and what would the starting pay look like?

And I know that having certifications isn't the same as having experience which is why I'm looking to gain experience by landing an entry level position.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Totally depends. The area you are in will determine a pay range. In an average cost of living area, I'd guess anywhere from $10-$16 with no experience working at a help desk or NOC.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    markulous wrote: »
    Totally depends. The area you are in will determine a pay range. In an average cost of living area, I'd guess anywhere from $10-$16 with no experience working at a help desk or NOC.

Thanks for the answer mark, this seems pretty realistic to me and helps give me a better idea of what to expect when starting out.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At 18 the most important thing for you is to get a few years of transferable experience. If you know where you want to be in a few years, you can look for a job that will give you relevant experience now. If possible, I wouldn't worry at all about pay - think of your first job as an investment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rsutton is spot on. However, make sure you are making enough to make ends meet! Do a little research if you are considering moving and know what the COL is in the area. I started at a help desk around 19. If you work hard and learn as much as you can in every role, you will easily find yourself in a position to be gainfully employed in the future.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I joined the Air Force not too far from that age, it was like an internship. It's also a way to gain experience and possibly a clearance.