Options

CCENT straight to CCNA:SEC?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
I am starting the CCNA because it is one of those things that can help me in my current job alot!
I am a little confused though, can I take the CCENT and then go straight CCNA:SEC?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a place to start with the CCENT, I hear about the CCB nuggets but that is the only consistent thing I am reading.

I have a copy of packet tracer, Is there a starter lab that can get me to CCNA:SEC for under $200. I am not looking at going any further than CCNA:SEC for now.

I am thinking about 1.5 months CCENT and another 1.5 CCNA:SEC.

Any advice will be helpful, THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Generally people are encouraged to take the CCNA R&S before moving on to CCNA Sec. Some of the topics from Sec will make more sense with what you learn from the CCNA. I'm working on Sec right now, have already done the full CCNA R&S.

I bought the Cisco Press book, plus the Portable Command Guide which is not only useful for both R&S exams, but I use it in my daily job.
    A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do any CCNA track after the CCENT (aside from Data Center. There is no prerequisite for that, but there is two exams).

Get the Wendell Odom book. http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-100-101-Official-Guide/dp/1587143852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415210654&sr=8-1&keywords=ccent

If you plan on doing the CCNA, might as well get the Cert Library (Both ICND1 and 2 book). CBT nuggets is good. You can also check out Chris Bryant's stuff on Udemy. He's got some good stuff and I used his material for the CCNA: Security.

If you google around you should be able to find some free labs. Free CCNA Workbook | CCNA Labs, Practice Exams and More! is a good site as well.

1.5 months is doable, but make sure you set aside enough time to absorb the information and lab enough times for the material to stick. Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. Will this equitment work for the home lab?

Also, will Odoms book suffice for the only source for book knowledge?

Switches: 3x 2950c (17-30$)
    Routers: 1x 2520 (37-50$), 3x 1721 (~20$ ea)
    Extras: 6x WIC-1T Modules [For 1721] (~14$ ea),

So I am looking at this:

1.Buy Odooms book
    2.Set up home lab from listed items
    3.Watch dome online videos
    4.Use labs:Ltat42a's Labs, Freeccnaworkbook
    5.Use packet tracer for a sim lab

Am I missing anything? Where the hell do I start, reading or setting up the lab?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think you need ICND2 to do well at CCNA Security. It helps to know IPv6, but you don't need to know a lot about it for Security. However, I didn't split the CCNA exams, so I am perhaps not the best source of anecdotal information!

Odom's CCNA books were fantastic. I used them and Packet Tracer and did fine.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    I don't think you need ICND2 to do well at CCNA Security. It helps to know IPv6, but you don't need to know a lot about it for Security. However, I didn't split the CCNA exams, so I am perhaps not the best source of anecdotal information!

Odom's CCNA books were fantastic. I used them and Packet Tracer and did fine.

No home network? One of the guys I work with said packet tracer will suffice and no need to invest in an entire home network.

I hear Odoms book is very technical and Todd Lammle's Routing & Switching Study guide was a less technical book. Is this similar to the CISSP's AIO VS. Conrads? I would prefer the less technical to start.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    5502george wrote: »
    No home network? One of the guys I work with said packet tracer will suffice and no need to invest in an entire home network.

I hear Odoms book is very technical and Todd Lammle's Routing & Switching Study guide was a less technical book. Is this similar to the CISSP's AIO VS. Conrads? I would prefer the less technical to start.

Odoms books is good, very detailed and would certainly be enough (in terms of reading material to pass) but if I'm honest it's a really dry read. I had to read some chapters 2,3 or even 4 times before I could pick up the information. On the other hand the Lammle book is perhaps not quite as detailed but is a far more enjoyable read and in my opinion, much easier to follow.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As someone who is taking the CCNA in a couple of days then moving onto CCNA Security, I'd recommend taking ICND2 beforehand. If you want to go down the security field you ultimately need to know what you are protecting.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Technical" is an interpretation. Some people understand Odom's book better than Lammle's and vice versa. If I were you, I would check out a sample on Amazon to see which one you feel more comfortable with.

As for the CCNA Security book, http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Security-640-554-Official-Guide/dp/1587204460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415287220&sr=8-1&keywords=ccna+security I find Keith Barker's explanations pretty straightforward. There is also an FLG, but I haven't heard anything about it.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm using Lammle's book and Chris Bryants CCNA and CCNA:S Udemy courses. I highly recommend his Udemy courses (videos).