Options

Think I should point out these personal qualities on my resume?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I doubt original poster is a kid since they already stated they are a homeowner in the first post, and the fact that drinking is even mentioned indicates they are probably at least of drinking age.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I didn't mean kid in the sense of under that age of 18 lol. "often used as a generalized reference to one especially younger or less experienced <the kid on the pro golf tour>" I call my 25 year old cousin kid all the time and he has owned a home since he was 19. It wasn't meant in a derogatory sense.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Kid or not he may as well just write "judgmental introvert" under his name instead.

If I was looking through resumes and saw someone put that on theirs I would have a grand old chuckle and throw it into the trash. Point is, most employers don't care if you get 'turnt up' every Friday or cross dress on the weekends. As long as you show up, do your job and do it well no one is going to care. When I worked in a higher level remote support position last year I knew several of the guys I worked with smoked pot on the weekends and went out to the bar scenes. Every last one of them still came in on Monday and did their job and all of them were top notch guys with degrees, certs, etc. Heck, one of the Senior techs had a DUI from years back when he was early twenties that he admittedly is not proud of.

I think the reason you have no friends is because you're so judgmental of the way other people live that you come off as a snob. I don't even know you and by reading this thread I already think you have some issues.. That being said I have lots of friends and I still hangout with lots of my old co-workers, and I'm by no means a social butterfly..
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't drink, I have friends, a wife and family. I'm not an introvert. The two really don't have to have anything to do with each other. But, as the others said, it has nothing to do with your resume so don't list it, no point in trying to make stand out in a way that some/many will view as bad/weird/judgmental/etc.
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    I didn't mean kid in the sense of under that age of 18 lol. "often used as a generalized reference to one especially younger or less experienced <the kid on the pro golf tour>" I call my 25 year old cousin kid all the time and he has owned a home since he was 19. It wasn't meant in a derogatory sense.

Well I'm sure glad that definition was cleared up, complete with example and everything!
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OP you need to socialize more. I know that you dont do all those things you think are bad. and thats fine. but your social skills are likely hurting your chances at getting hired. So those people that do those things you look down on, they likely might get hired before you because of their social skills.

Im not saying you have to do those things. But you desperately need to work on talking and connecting with people. It will help your career, and your life tremendously! Good luck!
  • Options
    mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Just curious but have you been tested/diagnosed with any medical or social disorders? You remind me of an acquaintance who has Aspergers. Also, you seem on the younger side...are you still in high school? Are you an only child?

You don't have to answer any of these questions, just looking at this from a psychological perspective.

You know, its funny you mention this. I will reveal something I've never told anybody, and have been in denial about. When I was in high school, the school made me see some psychologists. These psychologists to the best of my memory diagnosed me with aspergers, and possibly some autism. Its very vague because I was in complete denial about it, I mainly remember because my mom spent years getting books about aspergers from the library afterwards, but I'd hide them, or deny it, feeling ashamed I guess or something. Its not until now that I'm 35 that I'm starting to realize that maybe I do have it, and maybe I need to learn more about it, not try and hide it, and learn to work with it. I also recently heard about the "Introverted" personality, and I can definitely say I'm an introvert.

So I'm finally coming out of denial, and trying to learn about my social issues, and how I can avoid their weaknesses, and leverage whatever potential strengths they may have.

But I still find it nearly impossible to make any friends, and I don't quite know why. Yes, I'm bad at "small talk", but I can carry on a good conversation with anyone if there is some sort of topic involved, or if they are teaching me something, or i am teaching them something. I'm very open and friendly, have good hygene, and acceptable body language (I think).

The big thing is, I never seem to be able to make a "connection" with anyone. At the end of the conversation, they generally have no interest in talking to me again. I can be carrying on what seems like a good conversation with someone, but as soon as any other person gets near by, the conversation immediately shifts over to that person, and I'm pretty much run out.

I have such a broad range of intersts and hobbies, everything from extreme like skydiving, motorcycles, to outdoorsy like rock climbing to nerdy like video games and building robots, and everything inbetween, yet am never able to find any common ground because everybody I ever meet is only interested in drinking activities. One person did recently want to go snowboarding with me, however they wanted to get drunk when they do it, and I don't want to be around a drunk snowboarder. I had a jet ski, and I tried to invite people out to the lake to ride, people just weren't interested. I mean, who isn't interested in jet skiing, I didn't even want any gas money or anything. A couple people's excuse was that they wanted to smoke weed instead.

So I've always generally assumed I have no friends because, nobody shares any interests with me (even though I have so many), and everyone just likes drinking and drugs. But maybe there is more to it. Maybe it does have something to do with being an introvert with aspergers.

PS: I do have a couple of sort of friends, but I'm only likely to see them briefly about once ever year, so maybe they sort of count, but maybe thats more of an acquaintance, either way its about the closest I have to friends.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mxmaniac wrote: »
    You know, its funny you mention this. I will reveal something I've never told anybody, and have been in denial about. When I was in high school, the school made me see some psychologists. These psychologists to the best of my memory diagnosed me with aspergers, and possibly some autism. Its very vague because I was in complete denial about it, I mainly remember because my mom spent years getting books about aspergers from the library afterwards, but I'd hide them, or deny it, feeling ashamed I guess or something. Its not until now that I'm 35 that I'm starting to realize that maybe I do have it, and maybe I need to learn more about it, not try and hide it, and learn to work with it. I also recently heard about the "Introverted" personality, and I can definitely say I'm an introvert.

So I'm finally coming out of denial, and trying to learn about my social issues, and how I can avoid their weaknesses, and leverage whatever potential strengths they may have.

But I still find it nearly impossible to make any friends, and I don't quite know why. Yes, I'm bad at "small talk", but I can carry on a good conversation with anyone if there is some sort of topic involved, or if they are teaching me something, or i am teaching them something. I'm very open and friendly, have good hygene, and acceptable body language (I think).

The big thing is, I never seem to be able to make a "connection" with anyone. At the end of the conversation, they generally have no interest in talking to me again. I can be carrying on what seems like a good conversation with someone, but as soon as any other person gets near by, the conversation immediately shifts over to that person, and I'm pretty much run out.

I have such a broad range of intersts and hobbies, everything from extreme like skydiving, motorcycles, to outdoorsy like rock climbing to nerdy like video games and building robots, and everything inbetween, yet am never able to find any common ground because everybody I ever meet is only interested in drinking activities. One person did recently want to go snowboarding with me, however they wanted to get drunk when they do it, and I don't want to be around a drunk snowboarder. I had a jet ski, and I tried to invite people out to the lake to ride, people just weren't interested. I mean, who isn't interested in jet skiing, I didn't even want any gas money or anything. A couple people's excuse was that they wanted to smoke weed instead.

So I've always generally assumed I have no friends because, nobody shares any interests with me (even though I have so many), and everyone just likes drinking and drugs. But maybe there is more to it. Maybe it does have something to do with being an introvert with aspergers.

PS: I do have a couple of sort of friends, but I'm only likely to see them briefly about once ever year, so maybe they sort of count, but maybe thats more of an acquaintance, either way its about the closest I have to friends.

SPeaking with a professional can help. I know people with aspergers that are social. but it comes with practice. like many things. Some people pick up technology with ease and others need to work hard and practice to get good at it. The same goes for learning to socialize and make friends. It can take work, especially if you have aspergers. Sounds like you are taking the steps to work on that. And hey, you have a few friends here!! Good luck!