Options

Did the A+ help u get a job in IT? If so, where?

Jmart10Jmart10 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
title....

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's helped me get interviews with MSP's, NOC's and help desks but I haven't had a job offer yet. Functional resume is key if you have no experience in the field. Finding relevance in past position also helps.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It helped me get my first IT job as well as pursuing an AA in IT. I think you need to go beyond the A+ to get anywhere now a days.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its a big reason I got my first IT job. The MSP I worked for was required to hire A+ certified people for the position I filled. Without it, it was a no go.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not sure if it by itself helped me land my first IT job, because I went after a few certs as well. Had a+ network+ and a Microsoft cert when I got my first job as a noc.

I think a good resume will help, I have seen a bunch of resumes go through my boss that look terrible. I also notice alot of them don't have any certs, so certs are a good way of standing out and showing you have the willingness to learn.
  • Options
    stylezunknownstylezunknown Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my first real IT support job outside of a dsl tech support position I had for 2 years prior with an A+. The cert helped me prove that even though I didn't have the required experience, I was willing to learn.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It helped my resume get a nice boost along with my degree when I got my first IT job. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It helped me go from a PC repair tech to desktop support. I've been told by many people that I got lucky with that one though as I was offered the job after applying to something completely different and not IT related when the manager saw I had an A+ cert.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I Skipped the A+ and went straight to Network+. My employer liked that plus my GPA is fairly high which landed me an internship as an IT Service Engineer.
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that having the A+ and Network+ was a factor in finding my first job (help desk). The deciding factor was that I knew someone within the company, however. It gave them a reason to justify giving me the job with no experience.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My A+ degree got my my first "real" IT job as a T1 Help Desk Analyst. After I got my N+, I was a T2 Helpdesk Analyst after 6 months in my job.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did my A+ and CCNA at about the same time. Honestly? My current employer literally handed me the job based on my CCNA (and previous experience). He didn't even glance at the A+.

Ironically, I've only really heard back from one A+ job I applied to, but a lot of responses from slightly higher up positions.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure. Didn't really apply a lot until after I had the N+ and an MTA, but before I had those I got zero hits.
  • Options
    redfoot12redfoot12 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I definitely think having my A+ and Network+ helped me out initially in lieu of actual experience to land my first job. I just moved recently and I'm looking for work. One of the places that I'm interviewing with has A+ as a requirement.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I skipped the A+ so I actually got my first few IT jobs based on my Associate's degree when I didn't have any certs. I honestly think it's a waste of money unless your school/employer pays for it. Too expensive. I'd just rather grab a MTA and Youtube how to build my own computer and build a couple.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have any certs as I was very fortunate. I got my first IT job through my high school internship teacher. She said there was a law firm that needed an IT Assistant and thought of me. I went to the interview and got the job on the same day. But I imagine that the A+ will help quite a bit as having it shows that you have knowledge of PC components and that you know how to troubleshoot them should issues arise. I did alot of what the A+ teaches you at my first job.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I studied for the A+, but never took it. It absolutely helped me when I was doing desktop support, but didn't get me the job, experience did (I had a internship with a low cost MSP).
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did it help? Yes it did.

Was it the reason why I got the job? No, the A+ is not a golden ticket to a guaranteed job
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It may help you but i wouldnt rely on the A+ as my only cert. Get a BS in IT and get yourself more certs. MOST places require both.
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It helped me get my resume noticed but I don't think A+ has ever been mentioned in an interview, they seem to really focus on the next steps I'm taking, N+ and WGU.

However resume scanners may check for A+ and skip it if isn't listed, so it still might be important to have for self-applied entry level positions. IME good recruiters mostly ignore it and see where you are going instead.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)