Options

Another Advice Request Post...

OneEyeMikeOneEyeMike Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
After lurking for several months I have decided to actually register and also provide useful content when I can or at least some humor. However, today I come with a question and it is one I know many people ask daily on these boards and that is: I need some feedback/advice on a cert plan that I was/am currently developing. To start off I have an Associate's degree in Computer Networking and my emphasis was on Cisco and the CCNA. It is from several years ago. I took the CCNA but didn't pass. This was also before the CCENT. I took the test in '07. I have a passion for networking and security in particular. I would like to focus on network security and possibly pen testing. I have been planning to do the Offensive Security certs since they appear to be very worthwhile. I have been away from the industry for years and as such I was planning on starting with the CompTia trifecta and also looking at Linux+, Server+. My long term goal will be to work as a consultant in specializing in network security/pen testing. I am not very familiar with incident handling but am curious about it. I currently work as a dispatcher in the oil field and as such cannot afford to take a help desk job as my pay would be cut too much to at the moment. I had thought about the CEH, CHFI as I also have an interest in forensics but I hear that they have lost value recently. What are your guys' thoughts on these two certs? There don't seem to be many certs for forensics... I was also reading recent posts and it appears that it is advisable to skip the A+, N+ and just go Sec+,CCENT->CCNA->CCNA:S, CCNP, CCNP:S and couple that with the Offensive Security certs, maybe the CISSP, CASP? Are Linux+, Server+ worth getting? I am also currently learning Python/Ruby and several other languages. Thanks for all your input and knowledge that many of you share across these boards! I continue to learn much and also occasionally get a laugh.

Comments

• Options
    OneEyeMikeOneEyeMike Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also wanted to add that when I first took the CCNA test I took what is now the 'combo' option. Mine wasn't split into ICND1/2. Does anyone believe that splitting the tests up is any easier or that one should just take the combo and get it done with?