Options

WGU tech writing / Capstone

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
Starting on these today. I am using an online banking system conversion as my subject. Can anyone offer advise/tips from their tech writing /capstones?
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep it simple, and follow the rubric. I have a tendency to over complicate things, you just have to do what the rubric wants to see, no more. I had some 'sample' papers to look at and I couldn't believe they passed. They don't care about the content at all, just that you can follow the rubric and put everything together properly.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep it simple, and follow the rubric. I have a tendency to over complicate things <
    I second this one. My capstone was on IP automation and had tons of content but I really had to keep it in check. Follow the rubric and you will find the content builds very quickly on its own. Best of luck to you, your in the home stretch.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is where your mentor should be the most helpful. I spent a week trying to find my barrings and ended up having a 20 minute phone conversation with my mentor and had it done in one weekend. I had a great mentor that broke it down and said do what they are asking, no more and see what they send back. I got a great score, almost perfect. And I spent less time then most people. It's really easy to do more then what they ask for and get to far over your head. Keep it simple, and do something you know well. This is a time to show what you have learned over the past year or so, and nail it down.

good luck
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Download some example tech writing and capstone papers from the WGU Capstone Archive. These helped me tremendously in figuring out how to format these papers. Then, as already stated, follow the rubric and the templates that you are provided. For reference, my tech writing paper was about 23 pages and my capstone was about 33 pages.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'll go through the rubric very carefully tonight and try to organize my ideas into their appropriate categories.
  • Options
    The Mentors are very good as well. They will explain everything to you if you have any questions. In fact I would reach out to one now and get some starting advice. All the hard work at this point is done, I knocked the TW and Capstone out in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks! I talked with a course mentor about my subject and general plan of attack a few weeks ago. I'll be sure to reach out again if needed. I would really like to have this done before Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Off topic: Welcome to the 1000+ post club. You will receive your welcome kit in 6-8 weeks. Fees are due now though.
  • Options
    The provided capstone sample (Hufford) is 53 pages but most appendices. Are there other examples you guys got ahold of?
  • Options
    I sent you a PM. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this SBT1??? i'm working on it now, hoping to blow through it this weekend. I'm using a project from work that I'm doing right now; IT Infrastructure Secure Backup and Recovery.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Yes, this is SBT1. I wrote it last night in about 5.5 hours, submitting at about 230AM. It passed on the first go about 1030 this morning. After that I wrote and submitted my capstone this afternoon. Hoping for minimal revisions required on the capstone and to be finished by mid next week. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Well, that's it folks. My capstone was graded and passed on the first attempt. Thanks for the help! Once I finalize everything, I'll post a new thread with my WGU experience.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's awesome, congrats!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I should add that my tech writing was 31 pages and my capstone was 43 pages. Follow the rubrics and samples and you will do fine.
  • Options
    For those of you who have graduated, what happens between acceptance of your capstone and receiving your degree?
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Submitted my SBT1 proposal at about 330am last night, the evaluation is progress right now. Can't stop refreshing TaskStream. I actually have these classes left:

UBC1 - Introduction to Physics
    UBC1 - Introduction to Physics Lab
    CJC1 - Introduction to Probability and Statistics
    C278 - College Algebra
    RGT1 - IT - Security Capstone Written Project

WOAH, just now I received confirmation that my proposal was accepted! Pretty stoked about that.

FYI, I did SBT1 a little early because I was working on this project for my job anyway and just gave myself the same deadline as the work proposal.

Now I just have easy stuff left, planning on being done by Christmas.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Congratulations! I did most of those this term as well. You are so close!
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    For those of you who have graduated, what happens between acceptance of your capstone and receiving your degree?

Why, you finish half of your second degree, of course. They don't graduate you until the current term ends when you accelerate into a second degree. I finished IT-software in July, have 53 CU left on my accounting degree, and just got my diploma in the mail today :)

If you're just doing one, I think your mentor puts in the graduation application, you fill out a few things, and they get you the diploma within a week or so.
  • Options
    After your capstone is graded, wait for your degree plan to be updated with the pass. After that your mentor will submit your application for graduation. You'll get an email to fill out, and after that graduation dept will process it. After it's approved your diploma and 2 copies of your transcript will be mailed to you and you're all done.

You should have your degree in hand in less than 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks!