Options

Job Possibility with my 1 year IT experience and certifications

10jwood10jwood Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
Before I start listing my credentials and ask for advice, I would like to give my warmest thanks to everyone on the techexams community. I have made a lot of plans and based a lot of decisions on what has been discussed. Such plans include the certifications I get to the school I go to (GO WGU!!).

And now I'm seeking for more advice. With the following credentials, location and experience, what kind of job opportunities would be likely for me in my career progression? My plan is for a new job by March since I will have my CCNA - Security then.

Certifications: A+, Network+

Certifications by 03/2015: Security+, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security

School: WGU 68/122 credits for IT-Security

Internships:
  • Jr IT Admin Spring 2014, I worked layer 1 installations including servers, routers, running ethernet, site surveys, WAP installs, switches, etc. I also did OS installs and did migrations with cloned images.
  • Customer Support Engineer at Cisco Systems (Through 3rd party recruiter) - Since 07/2014 to current- I work with Call Manger and unity administration. SLA. Queue management. Service experience with executive bankers.
  • Technical Support Rep at Telenetwork - 12/2013-04/2014 - Reset email passwords, troubleshooted WiFi routers, maintain ISP customer satisfaction, troubleshooted SOHO modems, installed antivirus
I know this isn't a lot of experience. But it's in progress. I would appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    What is it that you want to do exactly? Do you want to do networking with a focus in security (given your planned certs and WGU program)? Or do you want to do something more security focused, and less networking?

The two fields intertwine and have a lot of overlap, but they can also vary widely.
  • Options
    Security side fascinates me. I also know I can develop a passion for anything. I would like to get a job with more options to telecommute.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you are leaning more towards security than networking then you will probably want to go a system-oriented route. BUT this really all depends on what you want to do with security. Depending on which facet, you will have to know a little (or a LOT) about everything.

I highly doubt you'll find an entry level position that lets you telecommute. With your experience you might be able to skip help desk and go straight to a jr. sys admin spot but I'm not sure you've worked with enough to make that jump. That said, I think you could make a short stint in help desk and THEN move to a jr. sys admin role.
  • Options
    I haven't really done much research if I went the system oriented side of things. I do know that for networking, I should start looking for NOC jobs.
  • Options
    HiTekHiTek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It all depends on how in demand IT careers are in your area. If jobs are in high demand, with not many qualified candidates, you can secure a pretty good job with minimal experience/education.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    It's tough to get hands on experience with Call manager without being in a company that uses it. I don't know how you feel about VOIP but there is a lot of upside if you want to pursue it. It is the type of job you can work remote.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I usually tell people that don't have alot of IT experience to do one of 3 things: 1.) get a IT job working graveyard shift = no1 wants it. 2.) volunteer work = a job is a job...stick on the resume and 3.) overseas govt contracting. It's rough working in war zones but you establish alot of connections and will get a government DOD or DOS clearance.
  • Options
    @Russell77, I've considered doing VOIP since I am getting experience with Call Manager. I'm just not sure what my next step would be. It's hard to find info as far as a career pathway goes. At work, most people can become either a team lead or a call manager expert. I was wondering if you had any advice on what steps I can take to progress in the VOIP world. Thanks in advance.