Options

Hired as a Desktop Support "Engineer" / Jr. Systems Admin

earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
Great day/evening/morning to everyone!

Just wanted to give a thread update and followup to my post "Hired as a IT Support Analyst". I think I may have bumped an old thread in the process, so I apologize in advance....icon_redface.gif

So first of all I would like to thank everyone for their support. I seriously love this forum and the community that holds it together! I am very grateful and fortunate to have found this amazing community a few years ago. I am also grateful to have been able to soak up the much needed (and correct/proper) knowledge, wisdom and encouragement you all have provided me.

Anyways...UPDATES!

After a year long engagement, I (finally) got married in August, left my IT support job and moved to Knoxville, TN. After several phone interviews and 3 face to face interviews, I finally snagged a "once in a lifetime" (for someone with my resume/qualifications) opportunity. Long story short, at that time I was looking for a job, the State of Tennessee sent out a contract company to look for qualified candidates for their IT Support/Desktop Support team. I was one out of 10 people who were contacted and interviewed and you guessed it, I got the job! I find the experience humbling and a bit alarming because 9 of the other candidates had bachelors degrees, certs etc...however they didn't have any experience (fresh from college) and couldn't prove to the IT Supervisors and Heads the knowledge they have gained through their education. Also from what I understand, my current boss told me that their interviews "sucked and didn't seem like they were passionate for the job".

Not only did I nail the interview, but because I obtained the 8 months of "real world" experience as a IT Support/help desk agent, I was able to prove to them that I not only possessed the right customer service skills, but I also possessed the right technical skills needed to do the job. My certifications (A+ and N+) helped, as well as the fact that I was pursuing my associates (some form of higher education).

I am in month 3 of this job and I like it a lot. There are some downsides to it (like every job). There are A LOT of "politics" (saving my own skin, IT really means Intentional Target) and dealing with people, running around, time management etc, however its definitely a learning experience, and also a BIG resume booster. I am happy. Plus this is my first "salary job".

Also, I would like to announce that I am officially transferring to WGU to study my Bachelors in IT Security. I was officially accepted into the program today and plan on starting January.

Once again thank you to everyone here in this community. I will be starting a "Earon's WGU Journey" post pretty soon, also I was thinking about starting a blog as well....maybe icon_lol.gif

Cheers!
WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019

Comments