Options

Comments on my resume

pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background: I am a new graduate(just this year) with very minimal experience as of now but I work really hard and I cant see myself being in any other field other than IT specifically networking. I am passionate and determined to work as a network engineer( or any related jobs) so I took part time jobs while studying and got myself certified. I have been getting interviews for the positions of network engineer/support engineer/IT guy but I get problems such as some interviewers think I'm very young(21), I lack work experience( they dont consider my part time jobs and I am currently in a different country so they dont count my experience that much), they dont offer entry level positions and require a minimum or 3-5 years experience, they tell me that I have potential and I know the principles/theories but I lack hands-on experience, etc. Right now, I am very desperate to work and I would take any job as long as it is related to networking. Do I need to edit my CV? any tips during interview?

*I dont know why I cant attach a .doc or .pdf file(it keeps saying invalid file) so I just uploaded it on DropBox. Thank you very much for the help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ts1x6khcpanl92/anonymous_resume.pdf?dl=0

Comments

• Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Can you actually post your resume file instead of a pasted version. It just looks awful on here and I really cannot tell how it would actually look.

For sure right now I can say take out high school education, move skills towards the top, and take out the description of the certifications. If your employer or said HR personnel doesn't know what a CCNA or MCSA is, then there are bigger problems...

Otherwise you have some very impressive certifications and accomplishments for a 21 year old. You just need to format this all correctly and you will not have any problems finding a good position.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you not able to upload or attach your resume in Word or PDF format?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I uploaded my resume on dropbox in pdf format because I can't attach it here. Should I edit my resume format?
  • Options
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if your getting interviews then the issue is not with your resume. You state your in another country? Are you trying to come to the states? Maybe companies do not feel comfortable committing to you without experience knowing your not native. The best advise I can give you is keep trying, someone will give you a chance. Remember the hardest about IT is getting your first job.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice and tips right now I'm studying campus and data center network design and the modules found in cisco partner learning. I am also applying in online job websites at the moment.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok I'll do my best to help you. This resume definitely needs some work.

1) There's absolutely no reason that this resume should be 3 pages.

2) The resume should begin with your name and personal info, then a professional summary under that.

3) You should then follow with either education and certifications, or work experience, depending on how much applicable work experience you have.

4) Lose the certification logos. They take up too much valuable space on your resume and are generally distracting. You don't need certification descriptions under the certs. Just list the certs and move on.

5) If you have an associates degree or bachelors degree, you don't need to list high school. Delete that.

6) Each job position listed under work experience should include a high-level overview of your daily job duties, responsibilities, and commonly used technologies. You should then use the bullet points to highlight projects, special achievements, etc. Don't rely solely on bullet points, it's more difficult to read and isn't visually appealing.

7) I was never a fan of a Skills section, although some people do use it. Instead of listing a "wall of text"/wall of skills like that, I would much rather see you somehow incorporate these skills and technologies into your professional experience and SHOW ME how you know and worked with these technologies. A wall of skills means nothing to me if I don't know if/when you actually used these skills in a professional environment. I hope that makes sense.

8 ) Same thing goes with the training experience section. Incorporate these skills into professional experience and you can easily delete this entire section. As far as the CCNA R&S course goes, you already obtained the cert. I don't need to know about any courses leading up to the cert exam, because you already have the cert listed on your resume. This is just a bunch of fluff. Lose it.

I highly recommend you refer to the following thread. ptilsen's resume is often considered the golden standard on these forums regarding how to properly create and format a near-flawless resume.

www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Ok, srabiee, i'll edit my resume. Thank you for the input.