Options

Any advice for finding unadvertised positions?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm A+, and Net+ certified, but with almost no IT experience. Trying to get my foot in the door with an entry level position. But at a bit of a standstill

So far I've searched all sorts of job boards, and responded to any position I thought I was remotely qualified for, no responses.

I've contacted and submitted my resume to every tech recruiter I could find. no luck.

I've searched around on company websites, but simply do not ever seem to find any entry level positions to even try to apply for, its almost always requiring either a BS, a couple years experience, or similar.

I've tried my best to network, to find inside leads, but I simply don't have anybody to network with.

So right now, I'm feeling like maybe my only option is to just go through the phone book, or some sort of directory to locate tech companies, and just start cold calling them, asking if they have unadvertised positions, or else just showing up in person looking for work.

Has anyone tried that approach? Is it a good approach to take, or could it potentially be harmful? (maybe employers don't like people showing up unannounced, I don't know). Or is there possibly an even better approach to take at this point?

Comments

• Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mxmaniac wrote: »
    .. just showing up in person looking for work.
    It'll look creepy these days if you going to do so. However, in my office you would probably be given an IT manager's business card with email and cell phone on it. There were times when I was looking for junior level programmer or help desk and if you would have happen to show up at that time - you could have been offered a job. So it might not be a bad idea - definitely won't hurt.
    Is internship an option or you're only looking for paid positions?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing is the A+ and Network+ are a good start but they aren't much... now that you have them what are you working towards?

Does your college/university have career center? Stop by there talk to the Career Counselor

Does your college/university have career fair every semester? Make sure your resume has been proof read by someone else, get your suit dry cleaned and look for an internship

I would check out things like Craigslist > Gigs > Computer for some project type of work.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have your resume been review? Best places to look for IT jobs are hospitals and Colleges. Where are located ?Where is the next largest city you can search?
  • Options
    bridgestonebridgestone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some IT colleges will place you on voluntary work/short internship (unpaid) but usually require you take one of their courses too. Check for course providers who also have a recruitment arm.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you currently employed? I recommend getting your bachelor's degree in IT. Any reason why you haven't considered going the college route?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    BeowolfjBeowolfj Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One big word helps: NETWORKING, who do you know in the IT world, do you have a linkedin account? Do you have an account with DICE or Tek Systems. Those are two large contracting companies who focous primarily on IT positions. With no IT experience to start with, contracting is your best start, from there you can begin your IT network if you don't already have one.
  • Options
    Well, I realize A+ and Net+ isn't that much, but I'm doing what I can, its a start..

While I dream of going to college, and getting more certs, etc, right now I'm in serious need of a job. My bank account is empty, morgtage is due in a couple weeks, and have a stack of utility bills, here. I really need to find an entry level job right now, and worry about more college/certs later.

Surely there have to be good jobs out there for a guy like me right? Working right under someone, or on a team almost like an apprentice? Doing desktop support, or beginner networking stuff, and doing the basic tasks/grunt work while I learn?

As far as networking, I simply have no network. I have pretty much no friends, my family is all dead, I've contacted every recruiter I can find, tried taking LinkedIn by storm, with a professional photo and full, well thought out profile, joining all their groups, posting, etc but only got one profile view after all that effort. I joined meetup.com, but all the groups I'm at all interested in don't have any meetings on their calender.

I know networking is typically the way most people find unadvertised positions, but doesn't seem to work for me, which is why I'm looking for any advice how to find unadvertised positions. Really leaning towards just showing up places, but don't know how that will go.

I'm located near the seattle area. Any input if this is a good area, or if its over saturated? I know microsoft layed off a ton of people recently, so i'm guessing the trickle down effect may be pushing people like me out of work.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's your resume look like? I'm not familiar with the Seattle market, but I'd think that you should be getting at least a little interest in entry level help desk positions with A+ and Net+. Could be your resume isn't up to par.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that Seattle is one of the best IT markets in the entire US. Doesn't it always make the top 5 lists for IT cities? My gf and I even considered moving there.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I've been told my resume looks very good by a number of recruiters, or hiring managers of companies who are not hiring.

I see tons of jobs posted for people with BS degrees, and years of experience, but I never find any entry level positions for someone line me with a couple of certs. I've even spent a few days going right through the phone book, cold calling every local computer related company around asking for a foot in the door position, but no luck.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    What's your resume look like? I'm not familiar with the Seattle market, but I'd think that you should be getting at least a little interest in entry level help desk positions with A+ and Net+. Could be your resume isn't up to par.
    bingo. if your not getting calls back for interviews. id look at your resume first.

Next step is to network. look for meetups in your area in the IT field. Get out there, meet people and ask them if they are hiring.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you live near a Best Buy? Have you considered working in Geek Squad? How about local computer repair stores? Those types of jobs, though relatively low wage positions, will get you going, give you valuable soft-skills (or hone what you have), and tide you over until a more lucrative position comes available.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    You know, I looked into Best Buy geek squad in the past, but had determined it would do more harm than good on a resume, and heard a lot of bad things about them and their moral practices, and that a huge part of their business and work requirements is up-selling stuff people don't need.

I simply could not work for a place where I'm expected to try to persuade a customer into buying a new computer, and gimmick warranty, rather perform an honest fix for a fair price.

I do feel like a big reason for no call backs is I'm generally submitting my resume to postings above my qualification level, in hopes they will see it and have something more entry level. But I don't have much other choice, I do not see any entry jobs for someone with just an A+ and Net+ advertised ever. Are these entry jobs even out there at all? Are they ever advertised, or are they always secret, and filled by word of mouth?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You know, I looked into Best Buy geek squad in the past, but had determined it would do more harm than good on a resume, and heard a lot of bad things about them and their moral practices, and that a huge part of their business and work requirements is up-selling stuff people don't need.

I simply could not work for a place where I'm expected to try to persuade a customer into buying a new computer, and gimmick warranty, rather perform an honest fix for a fair price.

I do feel like a big reason for no call backs is I'm generally submitting my resume to postings above my qualification level, in hopes they will see it and have something more entry level. But I don't have much other choice, I do not see any entry jobs for someone with just an A+ and Net+ advertised ever. Are these entry jobs even out there at all? Are they ever advertised, or are they always secret, and filled by word of mouth?

post your resume. Ill tell you if thats the problem. Also where do you live? If there arent jobs, maybe go to where the jobs are?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have to start somewhere. Best Buy has a bad reputation, but you can use it to get your foot in the door as far as IT goes. If I was hiring for an entry-level help desk, I'm not throwing their resume in the trash because I see Geek Squad on there. Maybe if you have no certs, no education, and have been there for years in the same position, but that's more indicative of your lack of motivation more than anything against Best Buy.
  • Options
    Do Best Buy employees work on commission? If not, I'd be inclined to trust them a lot more than something like Fry's Electronics, where the employees make heavy commission (and even negative commission) and have a strong incentive to mislead and lie to customers to make sales quotas. (I worked for that evil hellhole for 7 months in my youth).

Just some food for thought.

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I looked into Best Buy geek squad in the past, but had determined it would do more harm than good

For someone who has never had an IT job and is complaining about bills and a mortgage you are awfully picky. You arent exactly in a position to be picky. Any IT job is better than no job.

Best Buy employees do not work on commission. They are straight hourly.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    For someone who has never had an IT job and is complaining about bills and a mortgage you are awfully picky. You arent exactly in a position to be picky. Any IT job is better than no job.

Best Buy employees do not work on commission. They are straight hourly.

Right, and at the store level their pay is not great. But if you make it to a field agent or covert agent (I think)--you can make some okay money. I know some people that were both field agents and work from home agents (covert)... They actually both have moved to some pretty sweet gigs now and have probably doubled their wages. Experience is experience and honestly Geek Squad isn't as bad as people cut it out to be.
  • Options
    dklinedkline Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm from the same area, I live on the westside and commute into Seattle, and I was in the same spot as you about 6 months ago with the same certs. Don't give up! If its something you love and are passionate about then you will find someone who will give you an opportunity.

Everything people have listed are great ways of finding a position, and even how I got in where I am now (via temping/networking). However, the opportunities found submitting an app and getting an interview are there you just need to be patient and keep chugging along. I was doing about 10ish a day in a four hour stretch before I went to work. I tailored my cover letters and tried to tailor my resume to the position. Maybe get a fresh perspective on your resume and possibly cover letter template. Tech exams is a great free resource with a super helpful community, use it.

I know that it feels like you're spinning your wheels, but after a few weeks the opportunities trickled for me and I ended up doing second rounds every other week until I found the opportunity that worked for me. Craigslist was actually the best out of all the job sites because I was able to send stuff direct usually. I also googled all the MSPs/tech repair shops/data centers/ tel cos between Fed Way and Lynwood and apply directly. Someone will respond eventually, just keep working at it.

Also, if you're in a squeeze and need money, listen to these guys about Best Buy. If you're worried about morality in regards to selling, take a look at what you're selling and understand where the product is beneficial and can fit a customer's need. I can guarantee you the joe shmoe going into best buy isn't above some sort of tech support plan vs whatever astronomical rate they charge for cleaning up viruses.

If you don't want to sell at all because you just don't want to, that is a whole other can of worms.

Similarly, Comcast has a huge tech support center in Lynwood and Everett. I worked there prior to my NOC position. I was using rudimentary network trouble shooting on a daily basis (Ping/tracert/dnsflush/customers vs. wireless adapters/ etc.). The pay isn't bad either, it was actually on par with what some MSPs were offering me as a 1st tier tech minus all the benefits like free cable health/vision/dental/life/401k matching. Just have to put up with customers or whatever perception you have of Comcast icon_twisted.gif.

Xerox also has a call center somewhere around Renton too. Not sure what kind of support they do though.

My 2c, ymmv.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. However, I can't pm cause I'm filthy lurker who never posts :D. So leave it here and I'll answer it.

@srabiee - Seattle is full of tech opportunities. There are also a good amount of experienced/educated/ smart/talented people over here too. Entry level jobs are pretty competitive from what I've seen.
  • Options
    dkline:
    Thanks so much for that reply, it is really good to hear from someone in a similar area, and similar situation who found success. Its a little breath of fresh air, hearing that it can be done.

I can definitely think of some questions
    1) So you said craigslist was the best out of all the job sites. Can you tell me what you consider second best as well? And which ones you had no luck with?
    2) Did you use linkedin, and have much luck with it?
    3) You said you applied direct to a lot of companies. Do you have any tips for this? One of my issues, I've gone on local company websites, but they generally simply do not every have any entry level positions listed, so I don't even have the option to really apply for anything within the ballpark of my entry level experience. They almost always want a BS and multiple years experience. I've started to think that they don't bother posting entry level positions on their site, and these positions are only found by word of mouth. Do you have any input about this or tips to get around this issue and apply?
    4) Would you even get many responses to ads you'd respond to on craigslist, or would most of them not respond? I've responded to many, taking the time to custom taylor my cover letter for each, and I usually don't even receive so much as a response. Not even a "thanks, we'll look it over". Its like they are all going into a black hole.
    5) Did you try any recruiters like TekSystems, Robert Half, PrimeTeam, etc? What was your opinion on that.
    6) You said the pay wasn't bad at that rudimentary comcast job, can you tell me approximately what the pay was? I know everyone's opinion of decent pay is different.
    7) The Comcast and Xerox support centers do have my interest a bit. Are there any other companies that immediately come to mind, in the south king county area where an entry level guy like me might have a good shot?

Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    dklinedkline Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1) The second best site I used was probably indeed. But most of my replies came from craigs list jobs or just apping to a company website.

2) I have one, but I didn't use it much in my job search. I have it mostly to stay in contact with people I've worked with etc. I do know they have a job search engine built into it. That might be something worth checking out in your case.

3) There are places that advertise for entry level positions around, sometimes they aren't easy to find. The companies I got more responses from were managed service providers (MSPs) and local data centers. Down around the georgetown/south seattle/ tukwila area there are a cluster of them. It just takes some google-fu to find some. I know of a couple places that might be passively looking right now.

Also, make sure you're selling yourself properly. This goes back to throwing up your resume and letting people critique or finding someone who's opinion you trust to put a fresh pair of eyes on it. Having that second opinion can sometimes help get you out of your bubble and start thinking and applying yourself in different ways. Another thing that helped me get over the experience hump is to talk about the projects that I was tinkering around with on the side to show that I had drive.

4) I'd say 1:10 for responses to non-responses was a good week. One week I had shotgunned 40ish jobs and get one email back just for a little more info and that was it. Don't let it get you down, this is just the way things are rolling now a days. There are different reasons why they might not, try not to over think it or take it personally. I know it made me feel terrible and think about reevaluating my job search, but at the end of the day you just gotta get on with getting on and remember the positive reasons why you're going through all of it.

5) I did try tech recruiters and never really got anything out of it. I don't really have a feeling either way. They'll say all kinds of things to put a positive spin on things since they are building that file to hand in to their clients. On the flipside, when I first got up here I used Office team to get a temp job, it's a robert half company, and they had me interview with companies and be placed within a week of signing up. So they do have their place, just view it kind of like the rest of job hunt and try not to take it personally if they don't have a spot for you. Also try manpower if you haven't. I know the call centers love them for some reason.

6) My take home was around 32k annually..but with the quarterly bonuses I got based on my stats, commissions on upgrades, and the overtime I picked up I think I ended up closer to 38k-40k for the year I worked there. Plus I had my cable bill reduced to 20 bucks which put back around 200 in my pocket monthly. It was comparable to most of the places I apped to. The average was between 32k-38k.

7)There are small/regional players in the MSP and datacenter business up here. Look around, I know georgetown/south seattle have some. I'd recommend googling msp or data center and your city name and see whats around.