Options

Mozilla vs IE

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
which is right now better to you. FireFox (Mozilla) vs Windows IE.
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    The tremendous selection of extensions alone makes FireFox the indisputable choice over IE.
  • Options
    xlg123xlg123 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One word: (well, two) Tabbed Browsing. While studying for the MS tests,I try to be a fathful M$ guy and use IE, but I cant get used to it again. FF is faster at loading, displaying, and seems more stable over all. And it has..... tabbed browsing.
  • Options
    JVWhiteJVWhite Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xlg123 wrote:
    One word: (well, two) Tabbed Browsing.

x2, one of the greatest ideas ever.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FireFox hands down. I really love the tabbed browsing feature and like JD Murray said, all the extensions.
  • Options
    capy_12090capy_12090 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On an old computer like my Windows 98 SE box, IE is substantially faster. On a newer computer I would use Firefox.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I'd say I switched over about a year ago now, and I will NEVER go back. I agree that tabbed browsing is what I like best about it, but I also like being able to clear cookies, cache, history, and the like with one button if you choose. I'm waiting for a big new and improved IE marketing campaign coming soon.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Go Bucks wrote:
    I'd say I switched over about a year ago now, and I will NEVER go back. I agree that tabbed browsing is what I like best about it, but I also like being able to clear cookies, cache, history, and the like with one button if you choose. I'm waiting for a big new and improved IE marketing campaign coming soon.

The next version of IE reportedly has tabbed browsing.
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif Why doesn't that surprise me? Anyone know what percent of people are using Firefox now? I bet if Microsoft wasn't losing a good chunk of the market they would never try to improve their product, just keeping fixing the security holes when they come up.
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Very important - Mozilla is not as much of a primary target as IE is to maliciousness and hijacked browsers. Mozilla just tightens things up a little more than IE all around...security as well as design
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mobri09 wrote:
    Very important - Mozilla is not as much of a primary target as IE is to maliciousness and hijacked browsers. Mozilla just tightens things up a little more than IE all around...security as well as design

Nah - just wait until it gets popular icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I do not like Firefox, dispite at least 4 attempts to browse with it with so many saying it's 'better'. Not to me.

I'll use:
    IE
    Opera - if I want tabbed browsing.
    and recently testing Deepnet Explorer
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    keatron wrote:
    Go Bucks wrote:

The next version of IE reportedly has tabbed browsing.

It in fact does, I've been using the IE 7.0 beta for 2 or so months on my PC @ work and it's no different than Firefox to me (I dont use many plug ins with firefox). The beta is a bit buggy though (freezes up, closes out for no reason). I particularly like the "anti phishing check" feature (I dont know the official name for this feature) I'm sure it would help alert less savvy users of a potentially dangerous web page.
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Firefox wins that fight for sure!
  • Options
    I admit I was reluctant to switch at first when my classmates started telling me about it. Initially, I only used it on the school machines and then after using it for a few weeks I installed it at home and the rest is history. I'm definitely a creature of habit who resists change. I guess that's why 95% of the time I eat chocolate Pop-Tarts for breakfast. :D
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    personally i like firefox better but certain layouts of websites are destroyed by it. the beta version of IE 7 has copied firefox so there may be some good competition. I don't like IE 7 beta as much but I think I just have to get used to it.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    TcatTcat Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really cannot in good conscious use IE. It has too many security holes you can drive a rootkit through.

BUT, let me say that IE7 just went to Beta 2 .... so I cannot comment on improvement.

This week I installed Firefox V.2.0 Beta 1.

YES. The first couple uses Blew up with fatal errors. I sent the error logs in.
    Funny but I haven't blown up in 2 days now.

Two things have caught my attention already.

Browser tabs have an exit button. And

an instant spell checker that works pretty well in entry windows like this.

I would say wait for Beta 2 and give it a try.
    Save A Frog! Join the ETA!
    http://snipurl.com/SaveAFrog
  • Options
    yamahafireflyyamahafirefly Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mozilla is fantastic. I found out about it in college and I've used it ever since. The security is great along with load times. The tabs really help too. Instead of having multiple browsers opening you just have one. I love the search engine in the toolbar too.

Although, I still do use IE.. like at work and for my e-mail. For some reason Mozilla doesn't like GMail.
  • Options
    I have No Issue with Gmail/*firefox*. Google calender Lasts long enough to say "not supported browser" and "good night Chet"
  • Options
    Tcat wrote:
    I really cannot in good conscious use IE. It has too many security holes you can drive a rootkit through.

BUT, let me say that IE7 just went to Beta 2 .... so I cannot comment on improvement.

This week I installed Firefox V.2.0 Beta 1.

YES. The first couple uses Blew up with fatal errors. I sent the error logs in.
    Funny but I haven't blown up in 2 days now.

Two things have caught my attention already.

Browser tabs have an exit button. And

an instant spell checker that works pretty well in entry windows like this.

I would say wait for Beta 2 and give it a try.

BETA 3 was release shortly after 2 came out. They've added a refresh and stop button on the layout, otherwise, compared with 2 I'm not certain what changed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I'm using IE beta3 at work. Overall it's been extremely stable and I like it. The tabbed browsing with exit buttons is nice. It also has an option under tools to clear all history (temp files, temp internet files, history, etc.) with one click.

I use both Mozilla and IE at home. IE on my Vista beta2 seems to work the best overall. Otherwise it's a toss up on XP.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Firefox, no question...

Why? Well...
    #1. It's fast, much quicker than boggy IE.
    #2. It's secure, again better then IE.
    #3. More standards complaint from my experience.
    #4. It's expandable via plug-in's and themes.
    #5. Did I mention it's also FREE OpenSource?
    #6. Tabbed browsing and other options MS "borrowed".
    #7. More stable than IE.
    #8. User profiles, something IE doen't have.

Need I say more???

- Joey
  • Options
    Tabbed browsing if Mozilla has it they 'borrowed' if from Opera. Opera had it quite early in its release.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    If im not mistaken the chunk that many beleived firefox was taking from IE was somewhat over estimated. And the switch to it has slowed significantly the last 6 months.

I primarily use IE, but i like both. When i was developing webpages i primarily used IE because i wanted to ensure the page looked best in a browser that 90% of the world uses. Additionally when repairing PCs in the shop 99% of them are all IE boxes.

Take your pick they are both fair products and as firefox gains popularity its problems will be exploited just as IE is.

"But Mac's dont have viruses and windows does" If you were to create a virus you would try to make it affect as many machines as possible. There are far more windows machines than macs.

Security through obscurity is a horrible practice to follow.
  • Options
    IMHO, security through obscurity isn't a horrible practice, it is playing Russian Rollute with a Colt 45.

I totally agree as firefox grows it becomes a bigger target. that is simple physics.

At the current state of affairs, I think Firefox is more secure than IE only because it is newer in the "Gee that sucks" design over IE and some more support than IE...

Beware of calling something better and thats done... IE could flip Firefox overnight...

Security requires never turning your back. The black hat only has to be right once. The white hat has to be right all the time.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Hey TCAT,

Your absolutely right.

I guess i should rephrase my comment.

"Security throught obscurity alone is a horrible practice"

All aspects of security no matter how small all work together to ensure CIA.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tcat wrote:
    IMHO, security through obscurity isn't a horrible practice, it is playing Russian Rollute with a Colt 45.
    Did Colt make a .45 wheelgun? Otherwise you can't play Russian rullette with a typical 1911 .45 - it's an autoloader with a box magazine - the first round always goes BANG... icon_eek.gif
    Sorry Tcat - couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif
    As a matter of fact they did make a SA like a dragoon that may have shot a 45 Long Colt, but that was back in the late 1880's or thereabouts.
    Tcat wrote:
    I totally agree as firefox grows it becomes a bigger target. that is simple physics.

At the current state of affairs, I think Firefox is more secure than IE only because it is newer in the "Gee that sucks" design over IE and some more support than IE...

Beware of calling something better and thats done... IE could flip Firefox overnight...

Security requires never turning your back. The black hat only has to be right once. The white hat has to be right all the time.

I agree with this. So far, Firefox has had several vulnerabilities that have had to be patched, though not so many as IE. Many of the security issues that seem to affect IE have more to do with the fact that people don't practice safe surfing habits (ie surfing the web as an admin instead of a user) and the simple fact that there are 100X the number of black hats writing exploits for IE than there are Firefox. It has been suspected that the average "hacker" nowadays is no longer the MIT college student with a desire for knowledge, but rather an individual on the payroll of organized crime targeting people/companies for extortion and/or identity theft - or a foreign government employing individuals to gain unauthorized access into corporate and government systems (BTW the US Gov't does this to other nations too most likely).

Whether someone likes Firefox better than IE or vice versa is wholly a matter of opinion and personal preference, and many are choosing Firefox (they love that tabbed browsing!) but obviously some are choosing IE due to compatibility issues on some web sites that were designed for IE. Either one works for me.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk. Couldn't resist? My point, exactly. icon_wink.gif

The thoughts about reports that hacks are now pro, not tween kid have been accurate for over a year.

I mostly teach at the Govt level working with Law Enforcement. I call them Geeks With Glocks.

I can safely say, yesh... are they frustrated... I have to give them concepts to make US law apply to crimes committed outside the usa. Not an easy trick.

I'm proud of my work in that area and it isn't up for discussion.

The real point here is as I said in my previous post... We have to be right all the time. The other guy only has to be right once.

Sensitive to the concept of "putting an ad in a post" ... many of my newer books are free from Charles @ http://www.certiguide.com

I do not get paid one dime from that site, ever. I put my work to Charles so we could give a vietnamese rice farmer free access while an American or Brit would buy a book from that site, paying Charles or SE4L for my work through TRP... so I don't think I see 10 cents a year....

And in Security+ Chapter 0000 is by definition, is GPL licence...
    (functional equal) of literary work. Free to hand out to family, friends, work. Use it!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've worked with both IE and Firefox. I know that Firefox has a lot of features everyone loves, extensions to last till the end of time, but I don't particularly like it. I have run into some security issues with Firefox that I didn't particularly like, and there are some bugs in it I can't quite get around. IE isn't perfect, but I've come to like it, I can lock it down to a degree I can live with, and I have relegated Firefox to a "testing only" browser for web pages I build.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's wrong with gmail on firefox? I use it all the time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...