Options

Resume Review

10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey TE so I have drafted my resume and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look and provide feedback on possible changes and the type / level of jobs I should be aiming for? I have submitted it to a few places without success... thank you everyone.
CCNP R&S, Security+
B.S. Geography - Business Minor
MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
Professional Certificate - IT Project Management

Comments

• Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude are you serious ? Your military you dont need a resume just let them know and they will hire you.

But in regards to your resume i would remove the network admin title, also what equipment did you work in the army? What kind of routers, switches and servers did you support? You monitor networks but what programs did you use? What os did you to admin your networks? What os are you profiecnt in ???? What kind of issues did you support with desktops and laptops ? What os did they run ? You see there are a lot of questions and not enough clear answers.
  • Options
    Hey TE so I have drafted my resume and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look and provide feedback on possible changes and the type / level of jobs I should be aiming for? I have submitted it to a few places without success... thank you everyone.

Oh yes, a degree should help your chances probably an associates.
  • Options
    Umm, I think that I still need a resume IIIMaster. The network admin title is a placeholder, on the ones I have submitted it gets replaced it with the job title or position number / ID or whatever that company may use, should I switch it out / remove it?
    Good points. I wanted to work on a degree now, but wrapping up MCSA studies first :/
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    Umm, I think that I still need a resume IIIMaster. The network admin title is a placeholder, on the ones I have submitted it gets replaced it with the job title or position number / ID or whatever that company may use, should I switch it out / remove it?
    Good points. I wanted to work on a degree now, but wrapping up MCSA studies first :/

I was kidding about not needing a resume. But what os, tools, hardware experience did you get from the military? What were your daily task? Just soak your resume up with that stuff. Just be more specific and not so broad.
  • Options

Thats good but get that degree to improve your chances. Heck even if you just started school you can put it on there with an expected graduation date.
  • Options
    I would be open to any more comments / ideas or changes, thank you TE community :)
    CCNP R&S, Security+
  • Options
    BeowolfjBeowolfj Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is what I see,

the resume is pretty strait forward and to the point. You have all the starting certs, and look like you have the deck stacked toward security. I would say you were a shoe in for Advanced Security Technition, Advanced Networking Technition, or any Help Desk Manager roll. My only concern is the fact your education is strickly military based, which could come back to bite you. Most reputable companies will look highly on your military record, and it would be wise to include some place in there what your rank was when you were discharged if nothing more than an oportunity for them to ask about it and you go into more detail of what you did. Also, prepair yourself for the question 'so why did you leave.' All in all I'd say it was well writen, if you are are currently working on a colledge degree or toward aquireing another cert, include tht as well.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd...
    1. Take out N+ and CCENT off of your certs list, you've got CCNA no need to list the others IMO, and move certs up towards the top of the resume.\
    2. I always use my rate (your MOS) as my job title when describing my experience.
    3. Accomplishments. I would get rid of this part. Truth is that no one is going to care about your good conduct medal. Take the security clearance and either insert it towards the bottom or top as a line of "Security Clearance: Yes" or add it into your summary but most people will say to ditch the summary all together. Sensitive Items Custodian? Were you an LE? Are we talking COMSEC material or what? If so, I'd just make that a bullet in your experience.
    4. Ditch the High school info.
    5. U.S. Army Signal Center of Excellence... what class did you attend there? Add that in with that line.

Otherwise looks pretty good! When is your EAOS?
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Thank you BeowolfJ and Phil for the comments, I am going to make a few changes and see if it has any more success over the new few weeks. I appreciate it guys.
    CCNP R&S, Security+