Options

New Job is Great!

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
After being out of IT proper (I was embedded within a division for sometime) for a number of years a few weeks ago I started my new job. I'm back to the helpdesk for a mid-sized company after working in a higher level position prior with another company. While it's a downgrade in title and responsibilities it's an upgrade in terms of salary believe it or not. My previous employer was underpaying and using it's employees so I left. It's actually very refreshing to be back working as a tech. It's been a long time since I've seen or had to touch AD or Exchange. There's a learning curve again as I'm rusty in some areas but it's quickly coming back to me. I intend to sharpen my skills in those areas ASAP.

In part because my skill set straddles IT and another discipline I've had another employer inquire if I'd be interested in a position with them. While I've no intentions of jumping ship with my new employer I'm curious to see what's on offer. I've also had a secondary employer ask me to consider a position with them. I've not applied for either position but know people in these companies and reputation has put my foot in the door for me. I'm very happy where I'm at currently, my new employer has bent over backwards to get me in the door and ensure I'm happy there. I'm extremely grateful yet I'll be honest I'm curious what these other two employers are offering. I don't think that's a bad thing.. is it?

Comments

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It doesn't hurt to see. You might also regret not checking it out one day. I was working for a decent small company and kept receiving calls from another company I've never heard of. One day, I decided to find out more about this company and checked their website. Turned out that this company is one of the largest Fortune 500's in town. At that point, I said the heck and had a interview scheduled. Had a total of two interviews in two days and got an offer on the spot. This offer was a 30% salary increase and higher title, not to mention a better benefits package and the environment feels a lot better. So, in my opinion, I would at minimum find out a little bit more. If your not impressed by their offer, just stick with your current company.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, won't hurt to take a look. It's actually quite flattering to know I'm in demand out there and employers are hunting me down vs the other way around. That's nice.. for 30% who wouldn't jump ship!