Options

How To Get Professional Linux Exposure?

bridgestonebridgestone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've faced this problem throughout my entire career.Either there were no Linux servers (OK I know a lot runs on Linuxbut you don't do much on an esx host or some other similar box/appliance, for example, nor do you want to) in the environment or they were off-limits.I know the answer is to find a place with mixed Win/Linux environment like 70/30 or better but it seems they want people with both skills already and often are not willing to compromise.Anyone have any tips to share? Unlike with Windows, I can't even fall back to an entry-level position to get professional experience of Linux.I've even worked jobs where they told me I'd get exposure, I thought I was going into a mixed-mode environment and it was a flat out lie! icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    Setup two linux VMs using Virtual Box or any other tool, and start studying for the RHCSA. There are heaps of Linux opportunities and you will find an employer willing to give you a chance if you pass RHCSA and have lab experience only.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Easiest path into the field is with a web host, imo. They typically have high attrition, so they're always hiring. That's where most of my colleagues and I started. ;D
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    The Linux field has really weird barriers for entry; employers want you to have years (I've seen a lot requiring 3 years) of experience working with Linux, yet there are little to no entry level Linux jobs unless you are a fresh graduate of CS. Like UnixGuy said, your best bet is to setup a Linux lab at home and get so familiar with commands that you are seeing them in your sleep.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone above in simply getting a VM setup with a Linux flavor (Fedora, Centos) and run through the RHCSA objectives. I would also like to add that most Linux positions will require you to know some type of programming language such as Perl, Python, or Ruby and learning how to setup Apache with some database knowledge (MySQL, Postgres)...
  • Options
    TearstoneTearstone Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is a shortage of qualified Linux professionals in our industry. As a result, that means that the barrier to entry may not be as hard as you think. If you were to get your RHSA alone, you would be a good candidate for a company like Rackspace who is always looking for Linux folks.

What I would recommend is that you work on your skills alone. If you have a good laptop, setup a lab using VMware player.

Then, to test your skills use a website called True Ability. http://trueability.com They spin you up a VM and you have an opportunity to show perspective employers how proficient you are at commanding the operating system.

Good Linux/Unix people are hard to find, it takes a certain kind of mindset. Most good hiring managers are looking to see if you have that kind of mindset and passion to work with the OS. In a lot of places, the Linux work you do is very repetitive, like updating DNS records, or creating FTP accounts. A lot of which, can be done by a trained intern. Do not sell yourself short on your abilities.
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try rolling out linux based servers at your current job site. This way you can enhance the current services by making them faster and more reliable and learn the system yourself. I replaced Windows 2003 box that has been used for years by one of the divisions at my company as a file storage by a freebsd based system Nas4Free (even though pretty much anything can be configured through web interface you can still tweak some options using console). Also, added couple webservers - Apache and NGINX - for internal websites. You can implement KVM for virtualization too. Installing Asterisk can help your company with any internal/external phone switching needs. I'm currently studying for LPIC-1 and having exposure to all the linux boxes I mentioned definitely helps in learning process.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Worked a lot with CENT OS on my previous job.
    Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide by Wale Soyinka
    Helped me A LOT.
    meh
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would certs help in this regard? Linux+ is basic, but I'd think with the high demand, if you had a cert or two geared towards that OS and a little personal hands on experience, you could get in.