Options

ISSO job what is it entail?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have a chance to be an ISSO (Information Systems Security Officer) for a big credit union. Can anyone tell me what you think about this kind of job would I later have chance at the CIO job if he retires? read what he says. I ask him if it was still open. He told me 6 months ago to apply for it when I was looking for a job. I was trying for the IT manager job but I was too late in applying but last year he wanted to higher me for his senior network admin job but I declined due to my father being near death, I told him that and now he is giving me a chance again. I hope it pays over 65K wouldn't you think. I feel this CIO type is looking for someone to help him watch security. Since he is probably out of the technology loop for his age and his IT manager is too busy building and maintaining IT equipment. He needs a ISSO to watch over all information security. I have a good shot at it but if I took it my reason would be to eventually step into CIO job. I know it pays big the CIO. and then settle in for retirement. CIO would great job to retire in for me and nice big credit union at that.

so what do you guys think about ISSO job? what is it like?
and do you think as ISSO I have chance at CIO from ISSO?

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently in this role now. Right now predominantly dealing with C&A packages for a few systems we're trying to get ready for ATO. It's a mix of policy/regulations and a little bit of configuration. I've found myself distanced from the technical side of things, you're networking background will be key.

ISSO's don't usually move into those positions that you mentioned, but I guess it depends on your organization.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Not sure if it would be a smooth or easy transition into a CIO role. Do you have a lot of experience with security and regulation? For a credit union, you'll usually have to stay very current on regulations and compliance and will probably be in charge of writing or enforcing policies and governance. It's not a bad job but it's not for all. I was in a security role that was more policy than fun technical stuff and it ended up boring me to death.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't you an IT Manager before for a bank or credit union and left that role because you wanted to be a network engineer? From what you've mentioned on the forums before, you didn't really enjoy management and wanted to follow your dream of being a network engineer, right? Something like a management or director position would probably give you a more direct path into a CIO role but it would take time to get there. Depends on whether you can enjoy that kind of role again
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISSO is just a swim lane within C&A, which C&A is just a bigger lane within IA. An IT Program Manager would have an "easier" transition to a CIO than an ISSO. IT PM's typically have to deal with a couple of areas within the OCIO, to include operations, acquisitions, contracts, budgets, testing, forcasting, etc. CIO has to be aware of all of that, and how all of that is aligned with the organizations strategic goals and elements. ISSO is just aligned with whatever systems/applications that they are an ISSO of.

I've been an ISSO for years. Here's some highlighted areas:

-ISSO's are typically ensuring systems/applications remain at an acceptable level of risk
    -They are responsible for the daily tasks that IA controls are continuously monitored and addressed
    -Review audit logs (daily/weekly/whatever your org policy is)
    -Review/approve accounts and ensure background checks are being done (if applicable)
    -Make recommendations to the ISSM, System Owner, Program Manager
    -Knowing, understanding, and implementing security requirements and regulation
    -Being part Control Change Board and making recommendations (or approvals)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'll say this, from a non technical standpoint. Some of your post in the past regarding women in IT, and are there any jobs for "white guys" may hinder you in becoming a CIO, due to to the close mindedness that may spread to other areas. I'm not sure if you still harbor these thoughts as they were years ago, but in the modern world no company can afford that type of liability in their upper management. The general public generates way too much outrage for these incidents weather they are valid or not. I'm not saying other people think that way, but they maybe less vocal about it. Of course you can move to Texas where they just banned sharia law. Just my 2 cents from another point of view. We don't want to set you up for failure.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I'll say this, from a non technical standpoint. Some of your post in the past regarding women in IT, and are there any jobs for "white guys" may hinder you in becoming a CIO, due to to the close mindedness that may spread to other areas. I'm not sure if you still harbor these thoughts as they were years ago, but in the modern world no company can afford that type of liability in their upper management. The general public generates way too much outrage for these incidents weather they are valid or not. I'm not saying other people think that way, but they maybe less vocal about it. Of course you can move to Texas where they just banned sharia law. Just my 2 cents from another point of view. We don't want to set you up for failure.

wow, didn't realize he had those type of views.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Interesting. I had to scroll wayyyy back to see what you meant, Shodown.

@Itdaddy - if you are interested in still pursuing management, I would highly encourage you to open your mind up a little. All of us women aren't here to "bust your balls" and all the minorities aren't here to steal the jobs from the white man. I remember you mentioning something about marrying a filipina recently (BTW, congratulations. My wife is Filipina as well. We just go married last month) so these comments may be just immaturity when you were younger. If not, think about whether you would want someone to treat your wife like that and adjust according to how you would want people to treat your loved ones
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread sure did take a different turn. It sounded like Iris said that you wanted to get back into network, so I say focus on that. Being an ISSO is very different.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    easy easy on me. I had no idea this forum was so formal. Sometimes my slang is weird I get it and I am by no means racist or hate woman or down on women. It was just my experience in the past 2008 gosh. forgive me. I had bad experience with woman in IT and cops at the time. I only posted my experience. If you read my post I said I would never treat my wife the way I was treated. And you all know that there are people like that out there. I am not perfect and I am sure you are not perfect either. But I hear you loud and clear. I appreciate your input, but I have never led anyone to believe that I am racists or woman hater. I just said I had bad experience. And I am sorry if I came across bad. But you are kind of being harsh and judgmental with me. But there are people in general wanting to bust balls believe me a lot more than you think. I am just honest about it. But I am sorry I cam across as an a s s h le. sorry guys and gals. Really I mean no harm. And thanks my wife is Filipina and I love all kind of people. And can admit when I don't like something ;) but thank you for all your input. I will stay with Net Engineering. You all might have a point. I would be bored to death and open my big mouth too much and need better grammer skills ahhahaha LOL! I agree thank you all for your help.