Administration of VMs on a central server

tehtitaniumtehtitanium Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Community!

I have a current project running and want to hear some opinions from you.. I have to be honest and must say that I am a total beginner in the field of virtualization. The requirements are written as a User Story.

User Story

I want to have access to all VMs on a central server. The server saves all VMs. I want to start, change (by means of a GUI) and clone VMs from everywhere. Within the VMs I want to start more VMs(nested virtualizatin). Furthermore I want to use local hardware(USBs, Webcam) on the remote VMs and want the VMs to run fast enough(maybe through paravirtualized drivers). As a virtualization software I use kvm and virtualbox. We use these VMs to demonstrate different things.

Currently I have found two possible solutions:

1) Proxmox

"Proxmox VE is a complete open source virtualization management solution for servers. It is based on KVM virtualization and container-based virtualization and manages virtual machines, storage, virtualized networks, and HA Clustering."(proxmox.com)

2) Using shell scripts to adminstrate VMs

Starting a VM by means of a shell seems to be quite a difficult and time eating task. To make things easier scripts can be written to administrate VMs.

• Are there already such scripts available?

Do you have some input for these two or any other possible solutions?

Thanks!