Microsoft certs to help move up?

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been on Help Desk/Desktop Support for about 2 years. I work as both a Help Desk and a Field Tech, and I am now looking to move upwards into more of a Systems Administrator role.

What is the ideal certification path for this, considering I have no real server experience besides installation and hardware troubleshooting? From what I can tell, I have two options. I can either start with the 680 (to prove what knowledge I have in Windows 7) or go ahead and start working on the 410 (start learning knowledge that I will need).

With the second option though, I sort of have an ethics question I suppose. Aren't certifications supposed to prove my knowledge? I feel like getting certified but not actually having any professional experience with Server 2012 would look a bit sketchy. At the same time, I don't see how I am supposed to break into an Admin role without any experience.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    680 is for what you do now. If you are comfortable with that material, move up to 410 and the other MCSA 2012 exams.

Some might considered it sketchy, but I don't see an ethics question there. Most people are ok with someone in your position getting certified in the next level so they can move up. It starts to get sketchy when someone has a higher level certification or a lot of certification and no experience to go along with them. For example a person with a CCNP with no networking experience.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs aren't meant to show experience, so it isn't an ethical dilemna...unless you misrepresent your experience with Server 2012. From my perspective, I'd probably get the MCSA: Windows 7 knocked out, then start going for the Server 2012 certs. That way, I might qualify for a pay raise, show future employers that I was focused on improving myself within the context of the job that I had at the time, and challenged myself to learn additional technologies that would support what I already worked with while preparing myself for future roles and responsibilities.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me