Options

CCNA Lab

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
My school is finally willing to allocate some money to buy us some equipment. I do not know how much money but I am sure it will not be much given past experiences. Anyway, I wanted to know what equipment we need for our CCNA lab. The last time I taught it we had to use a router sim and I hope to get rid of the router sim this time.

If I could have a basic version and then a more expensive version, that would be great. I will then try to hunt things down on ebay and get them a price list.
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• Options
    Any suggestions?
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Here is a link to a page on this site that contains the basic set up you will need and you can buy all of this on e-bay or other places at very reasonable prices.

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

But, and I am being blunt, I can't imagine how you can TEACH a CCNA class/lab if you need to ask this question.

Mike
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This guy is expensive but he is reliable and tests all of his equipment.

You said school so I would consider one of each of the following for about $6K total. This will give you 5 pods, one reasonably current pod and 4 "they will do" pods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNP-Lab-Kit-2x2620-2x2500-2x2950-ISDN-Sim_W0QQitemZ5851938442QQcategoryZ67321QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-Classroom-Lab-Kit-13x2500-4x1912-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ5851860651QQcategoryZ67317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I will be getting $200. I want to get 3 routers and two switches. I need 3 routers to do frame relay and the switches for trunking. I do not know if I will be able to do it with that kind of a budget.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry but unless you get awful lucky on ebay that ain't happening. There have been quite a few buy low sell high vultures on ebay for the last several months. They have been buying up far more equipment than what you need to make dozens of labs. So the prices of things like switches have been inflated. Used 2950's for example have been selling for almost new price. Dual router and dual 1900 switches are about $300 currently. Maybe you could do better looking for token ring only routers.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will be getting $200.

I wouldn't get rid of the router sims just yet.

What's the old saying? Good, fast, cheap -- pick 2?

Routing, wans, switching -- pick 2.

Not sure you have the budget to even come close to covering the switching stuff - trunking, stp, and vtp -- a router with a FastEthernet and maybe 3 2950's.

But you probably do have the budget to cover routing and wans (and and the cables and a cheap switch). 2 out of 3 ain't bad (for a start). And some real hands on work is better than nothing.

Use the sim for switching and ISDN now if you can.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    They are not exactly giving me a choice. They told me to get the equipment to make the program run with $200. All they care about is student evaluations and the budget. We have different priorities. I'll probably end up spending some of my own money to get a few things and then bring them in as mine. At least my evaluations are high. I might still be able to keep the sim in the budget since it was in there last time we taught the course. I guess I will deal with that when the time comes. It is servers this quarter, security next quarter, and then Cisco again.

It is almost like one of those exam questions where you implement a solution using equipment that would cost a fortune and then you get into the real world and discover that you have none of that but you still have to make it work.
  • Options
    bbel121bbel121 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The most common setup would be two 2500 routers and a switch. It would be best to get a 2912 or 2950-12 switch but those switches would eat up your budget all by themselves. I think the best you are going to do is a two router setup for about $200. Here is something on ebay that is not a bad deal

Check out ebay item #5851738037 or 5851236829

The second item is kind of high in price, but that gives you some ideas of different ways to approach it.

John