Starting CASP Studies

jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I took the beta of CASP and failed, I think I got hammered on the SIMs questions. So I have started to study again this time for the real thing. Glad the first beat down was free lol. I have ditched the Sybex book since it seems really not that good. I am using the McGraw Hill Study Guide which seems great. Kind of dry and not a fun read but it seems like it covers the material. I get a free unlimited use of Measure Up for CASP from the DoD. So I am using that and I took a prelim test and scored 70% not great but not studying so not bad. The problem is that I cannot find a test bank that changes questions and also does the sim questions. I would really like to practice the SIM questions since book knowledge I am not bad on. Any suggestions?

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jeremywatts2005,

I used the book. I could not really find a decent set of test questions for this exam.... it may be too soon, who knows. Maybe they want you to work on the SIMS and not the questions, which are poorly worded.

You may want to browse the areas of others who previously chosen this exam.
    If you have a problem, you may want to do some research.
    Perform the SIMS, know the concepts, and you should be golden.

Good Luck!
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wanted to pass this along to military and govies alike. If you have access to FedVTE they have a course for CASP now. Do not know if this has been mentioned. It is quite long and covers all the exam domains. I am an Army Guardsman and found out about it yesterday. I do not know if the Army will give me a voucher though since I only have 6 months till I am done. The course is nice though.
  • GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah the FEDvte stuff is like being in class without the instructor knowing you've fallen asleep. There was something AKO (Army) offered (free) too which when I last searched had SIMs for CAS-002. I'll find out what it is a post back.

Safari Books online is offered free to DoD.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I heard the SIMs on the CASP are killer. But I am going to get this book soon, I like these little purple ones: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Advanced-Security-Practitioner-CAS-002/dp/0789754010/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442417760&sr=1-2&keywords=casp
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    I heard the SIMs on the CASP are killer. But I am going to get this book soon, I like these little purple ones: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Advanced-Security-Practitioner-CAS-002/dp/0789754010/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442417760&sr=1-2&keywords=casp

Yeah, I'm going to order it this Friday.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    I heard the SIMs on the CASP are killer. But I am going to get this book soon, I like these little purple ones: CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert Guide: Robin Abernathy, Troy McMillan: 9780789754011: Amazon.com: Books

The readers' comments on Amazon are.. icon_rolleyes.gif
    The CASP is an 85 question exam. I was at first shocked to read this in the book until I began laughing at the meaning of this. My daughter in elementary school has exams that have this many questions on them. The permit to register my dog has this many questions on it.

Upon first reading I was aghast at how difficult it was to get a grasp of the material from just reading this book - and I have an MS in CS from a top tier grad school.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NO one seems to know about this free online training tool:

https://www.cybrary.it/ casp is included and you will need to sign up to access this free material taught by Subject matter experts
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i am reading the Sybex book, taking the New Horizons boot camp, and using Skillport.

I registered for Cybrary, but haven't taken the course yet
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    The readers' comments on Amazon are.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah top tier grad school which means he's a c**t too icon_wink.gif
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None