Options

CCNA R&S and CBT Nuggets

albealbe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am studying for CCNA R&S Certification with the help of CBT Nuggets material, which I really enjoy.
I have also started playing with Cisco Packet Tracer and I wanted to ask anybody of you who has studied with the same material some kind suggestions or clarifications.
At the moment I have only few questions but I'm sure that many more will come.

Currently I am watching the course named "Cisco R&S Troubleshooting Mastery" (Sequeira - Barker) and what I would like to know why some of the commands they use for switch configuration are not recognized when I test them.

For example when they show how to set an EtherChannel Bundle they show a command to default all the interfaces so they enter

SW-1#conf t

and this is ok, and then they do

SW-1(config)#default int range fa 0/1-6

and with this I get the following error on Packet Tracer, though I have the same infrastructure they presented

Invalid input detected at '^' marker (the marker is under the e of default)

It is like the default command is not recognized in my case. There no syntax error in the interfaces because I can select them correctly and shut them down with

int range fa 0/1-6
shutdown

I am wondering if this specific command is related to a specific version of Cisco IOS or to some specific switches (for my test I am using 2960).

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a little confused as to why the default command would be needed there. When selecting a range of interfaces to configure, int range fa 0/1-6 should work fine.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums.

I don't know what the default represents either. I don't think I have used that at all.
    Keep in mind that Packet Tracer is a simulator not an emulator. It does not have all of the commands that are available on the real IOS.
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    default interfaces resets the interfaces config to default..it doesnt work on PT coz of IOS version i think.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    albe wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am studying for CCNA R&S Certification with the help of CBT Nuggets material, which I really enjoy.
    I have also started playing with Cisco Packet Tracer and I wanted to ask anybody of you who has studied with the same material some kind suggestions or clarifications.
    At the moment I have only few questions but I'm sure that many more will come.

Currently I am watching the course named "Cisco R&S Troubleshooting Mastery" (Sequeira - Barker) and what I would like to know why some of the commands they use for switch configuration are not recognized when I test them.

For example when they show how to set an EtherChannel Bundle they show a command to default all the interfaces so they enter

SW-1#conf t

and this is ok, and then they do

SW-1(config)#default int range fa 0/1-6

and with this I get the following error on Packet Tracer, though I have the same infrastructure they presented

Invalid input detected at '^' marker (the marker is under the e of default)

It is like the default command is not recognized in my case. There no syntax error in the interfaces because I can select them correctly and shut them down with

int range fa 0/1-6
    shutdown

I am wondering if this specific command is related to a specific version of Cisco IOS or to some specific switches (for my test I am using 2960).

Welcome to the forums! As stated by Jayskata some commands do not work on emaulators (GNS3/P.Tracer). Be careful with this through your stuides as you may find quite a few commands do not work in Packet Tracer but do work on real equipment due to capabilities.

This can sometimes be down to IOS version in the real world. Also in packet-tracer I know for a fact that only the 'interface range fa0/1-6' command works only. Great to know for when you sit the SIM lab's in the exam but not always great in real-world. Best to know both methods.

Good luck with your stuides.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    albealbe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your replies, that's what I thought. I'll keep these differences and limitations into consideration during my studies.
  • Options
    sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums! As stated by Jayskata some commands do not work on emaulators (GNS3/P.Tracer). Be careful with this through your stuides as you may find quite a few commands do not work in Packet Tracer but do work on real equipment due to capabilities.

PT is a simulator where GNS3 is an emulator. As long as the image you are running in GNS3 supports the commands it will allow them.