Options

Interview advice

beradberad Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

This my first post, I'm glade to be aboard. I have help desk interview tomorrow, and would love some feedback or some points to review so I don't get caught of guard in the interview. I have been working with and troubleshooting computers on my own for about the last 10 years. Ive done a lot of freelance computer repair mainly software, virus/Malware/registry/ repairs, windows reloads, modem/gateway configurations, and some networking. Ive been working on my A+ certification, but recently Ive discovered Western Governors University. I have a two year degree in communications and my GE done. I plan on pursing the IT Network SEC. degree.

Sorry, for the life story^. I just figured a little background would help for advisement. Below is the job description and qualifications. Thanks in advance!

PS. I also have a phone interview with geek squad for a double agent position. "LOL!" If anyone cares to comment.:)

[h=1]Description[/h] [h=1]Job Summary[/h]
This position will be responsible for maintaining and monitoring end-user workstations and productivity on local area network. Perform a variety of maintenance, software installation, end-user support and training tasks to ensure end-user workstations meet company and user requirements. Provide support to staff on all company-supported applications. Troubleshoot computer problems, determine source and advise on appropriate action. Complete application project-based work. Perform responsibilities in accordance with all company standards, policies and procedures.

[h=1]Essential Functions[/h]
  • Administers end-user workstations and supports end-user activities utilizing TCP/IP on a primarily Microsoft Windows-based local area network (LAN).
  • Investigates user problems and identifies their source; determines possible solutions; and implements solutions.
  • Installs, configures and maintains personal computers, and other related equipment, devices and systems; adds or upgrades and configures disk drives, printers and related equipment.
  • Performs software and application installation and upgrades.
  • Troubleshoots systems and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
  • Develops and conducts various training and instruction for system users on operating systems and other applications.
  • Maintains confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the end-users on the network.
  • Assists personnel of other departments as a computer resource.
  • Provides computer orientation to new and existing company staff.
[h=1]Qualifications[/h]

• Must possess some college education in related field and no minimum years of networking experience, or equivalent applicable work experience.
  • At least 1 year help desk experience.
  • Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical personnel.
  • Ability to install, configure and maintain personal computers and related hardware and software.
  • Knowledge of computers, applications, procedures and techniques.

Sincerely,

Berad

• Ability to identify and resolve computer system malfunctions and operations problems.
  • Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
  • Ability to learn and support new systems and applications.
[FONT=&quot]*LI-POST[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck. I wouldnt sweat it. These types of jobs, they just want to make sure you are competent, know what you say you know on your resume, and have a personality that can get along with the rest of the team.

You sound like you have the experience. I would suggest making sure you can talk intelligently about anything that is on your resume and in the job description(its ok not to know 1 or 2 things). Most important, google general interview questions and practice those. Im not talking about how do you sysprep a machine type questions. Im talking how to answer questions like "what are your biggest strengths and weaknesses" and stuff like that. Thats the most important stuff. the tech stuff you know most of and the rest can be taught. especially in an entry level position.

Good luck.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    berad, I see you had an initial interview and now have a followup interview with IT managers. Was the first interview with an HR person mainly talking about yourself and why you want to work with the company? If so, I'm guessing tomorrow's interview will be a technical where they might ask you some tough questions, http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/104828-entry-level-technical-interview-tough-questions.html was an experience I had and offers some great advice from other TE members.

Considering the length of the interview you should have an opportunity to describe your technical experience, try to focus on things that are in the job listing but don't try to make up anything technical or try to explain something that you can't really explain, you just dig yourself a hole. You are talking to people that should know when you aren't quite on the right path, they probably won't correct you but will make note of it.

Try to have a couple of questions to ask but don't overdo it, I learned that the hard way, leave most of your questions for the face to face interview if it gets to that. Good luck!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Try to have a couple of questions to ask but don't overdo it, I learned that the hard way, leave most of your questions for the face to face interview if it gets to that. Good luck!

This is important. You are interviewing them as well. By asking questions you can show that you have interest. It also helps to ensure you dont end up in a job that 5 weeks from now you say you hate because it wasnt what you expected. But most importantly, that you have options and hey, they better to their best to win you over!
  • Options
    beradberad Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank for the feedback guys. Ya I'm very nervous because the HR guy said to leave 30 to 40 min, for the phone interview. The interview will be conducted by two senior IT managers. What could they possibly ask that would require that much time. I really am trying to land this job because it pays 18.75 an hour, and has tuition reimbursement. The tuition reimbursement would be key for my last two years at WGU.

Thanks,

Berad