Options

Web dev to system admin - career advice

creativeusernamecreativeusername Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I would love some career advice. I'm currently a web developer with about 5 years experience, but I would love to transition into a system admin role. My question is, would that possible? I know the typical route is something along the lines of helpdesk/desktop support to system admin but I'm sure how doable that is for me. The actual work wouldn't bother me but the salary is too low (already have a family).

Although I'm a currently a dev, I do have experience managing Linux/Windows servers, virtualization (not necessarily enterprise level), I feel comfortable using the command line/terminal/server management with ssh, vagrant and chef, and writing small bash scripts. For example, I wrote a script that will take a vanilla installation of Ubuntu and set up a complete web server environment running a wordpress site. I know that's pretty basic but I think it does show some initiative. I'm also currently a manager of a small team so I do, in my opinion, have pretty good soft skills from the management experience and dealing directly with clients.

I don't have any certs yet but I do plan on building a home lab soon and getting a CCNA and possibly RHCSA. I know certs don't offer near as much value as actual hands on experience (that's what the home lab is for) but I heard they do look good on a resume and can help with hr.

In saying all of that, does it seem likely that I could find a system admin job after picking up the CCNA?

Comments

• Options
    No thoughts on this?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Have you looked into DevOps? It depends on what kind of webdev you are but since you mention Vagrant, Chef, web servers, and linux, you are already working with some of the main tools used with startups, e-commerce, and quick-scaling shops. What are your primary languages? If they include Ruby and Python then you're continuing on the right track for this role.

Multiple discussions have come up on here regarding the role itself, being somewhat nebulous and a 'catch-all' for a wide range of things, but it's possible this is a role you could shift into with relative ease.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    As a CCNA is more networking admin related than system admin related, you'd probably end up with a junior network admin type job with CCNA.

Depending on whether you go Linux/Unix or Windows will determine a relevant certification to pursue. Linux+ might be a good starting out exam to get your feet wet and familiar, then build in to a RHCA if you go that route.

Perhaps another consideration would be pursuing some type of programming language/job. These kinds of things you can easily learn and practice online and it sounds like you already have familiarity with some basics . Might be a better fit with your web dev background and probably would pay better than system admin roles. Just a thought...

Best of luck
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Have you looked into DevOps? It depends on what kind of webdev you are but since you mention Vagrant, Chef, web servers, and linux, you are already working with some of the main tools used with startups, e-commerce, and quick-scaling shops. What are your primary languages? If they include Ruby and Python then you're continuing on the right track for this role.

Multiple discussions have come up on here regarding the role itself, being somewhat nebulous and a 'catch-all' for a wide range of things, but it's possible this is a role you could shift into with relative ease.

DevOps is a good suggestion but I am mainly a front-end dev so html/css/js is what I am proficient in. Like you mentioned, knowledge of Ruby and Python are definitely almost a necessity in DevOps.

BGraves wrote: »
    As a CCNA is more networking admin related than system admin related, you'd probably end up with a junior network admin type job with CCNA.

Depending on whether you go Linux/Unix or Windows will determine a relevant certification to pursue. Linux+ might be a good starting out exam to get your feet wet and familiar, then build in to a RHCA if you go that route.

Perhaps another consideration would be pursuing some type of programming language/job. These kinds of things you can easily learn and practice online and it sounds like you already have familiarity with some basics . Might be a better fit with your web dev background and probably would pay better than system admin roles. Just a thought...

Best of luck

Thanks for the info! It sounds like Linux+ -> RHCA would be the best route. So, let's say I knock both of those out, do you think that plus my current experience would be sufficient to pick up a junior or mid level system admin position?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    n saying all of that, does it seem likely that I could find a system admin job after picking up the CCNA?

Go to InDeed.com, Dice, ect..., type in CCNA for a keyword, your zip code and hit search. There, you just found a list of jobs and can see the requirements for each of them.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response