back and kinda lost

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
Ive been away from the cert/learning world for a while and im starting to feel stagnate.

this brings me to the issue im having ... what to do next. I was thinking CCNA or a redhat cert.

What do you think is more marketable at this time as well as future.
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good to see you are still around. And thanks again for helping me decide on the WGU MS:IT degree, btw.

What is your current role now? I figured with a MS:IT degree you might have landed an IT manager position, which wouldn't necessarily require any certs.

Sounds like you might be interested in going the network engineering path?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on your location. To be honest I really dont see many looking for redhat. Mostly windows, sql and cisco. But others say those red hat guys are in huge demand.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    right now im a director of IT for a hospital as well as a adjunct professor for basic networking.

I talk to redhat people and they see growth and the cisco people keep talking about branching out. I dont know if ill use the cert but more or less the constant need to learn that is driving me and the cert at the end would just be the goal/end point.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I feel like CCNA can supplement just about everything which is one of the reasons I'm going for it.

The Red Hat path is more relevant to actual Red Hat shops. But if you are good, there are a lot of telecommute/remote options for those types of positions.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I agree with lsud00d, go for the CCNA...I mean you're already teaching networking, so it should be pretty easy for you to achieve. On the other hand, you don't really mention what technologies you use at the hospital, so I'm not sure if you're actually using RedHat there. It would help to go after your RHCSA if you are using there or looking to get into the Linux field, but I wouldn't pursue it for shits and giggles.