Options

Military reserves/resume question

Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wanted to get some opinions on how to annotate my Navy reserve status on my resume.

I did 5 years active duty and I have all of that experience listed but about 7 months ago I decided to continue my service in the reserves. Maybe my situation is unique (I feel like its probably not) as far as reserves go but my drill weekends are mainly spent trying to not die from boredom and not really doing anything besides school work. It's more of a commitment that I get paid for than an actual job at this point.

Would it be a good idea to list Reserves under my experience or create a different section for it, like an obligations part or something along those lines?

I'd like to get it on my resume instead of having to bring it up during interviews or would that be my best bet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I've also included my resume and would welcome any feedback!

ScrubbedResume.pdf
Working on: CCNP Switch

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    List it under experience. Regardless of what you are actively doing when on drill, it is still experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks Stryder! Would adding a bullet like, -Perform basic administrative duties one weekend a month. , work or could I potentially leave it blank?
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As someone who has active duty time and reserve time i did it like this on my resume:

Service branch: mm/yyyy - mm/yyyy Reserves: mm/yyyy - mm/yyyy
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    Cwshellhamer, I'm guessing you're doing a functional resume vice chronological?
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm assuming you didn't switch rates, even though your specific job duties may have changed quite a bit. If that's the case, why not just toss that in under your existing Navy entry. Something like...

Information Systems Technician
    United States Navy
    September 2008- September 2013
    United States Naval Reserve Force
    May 2014 - Present
    -Accountable for enterprise communications...
    -Configure Cisco...
    -Perform...

EDIT: I'd also put your clearance higher up on the resume.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Qord wrote: »
    I'm assuming you didn't switch rates, even though your specific job duties may have changed quite a bit. If that's the case, why not just toss that in under your existing Navy entry. Something like...

Information Systems Technician
    United States Navy
    September 2008- September 2013
    United States Naval Reserve Force
    May 2014 - Present
    -Accountable for enterprise communications...
    -Configure Cisco...
    -Perform...

EDIT: I'd also put your clearance higher up on the resume.

The problem with this is that they are entirely different jobs, locations, supersvisors. I would personally advise against putting them together. That could also confuse an employer as to your actual availability.

I see resumes all the time that list reserve/guard duty as a seperate job just as you have listed in it your resume (with more stuff listed). The dates will coincide with something else but hiring managers understand reserve/guard obligations.
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cwshellhamer, I'm guessing you're doing a functional resume vice chronological?

Not really, i just have my service listed because being a truck driver in the Marine Corps does not translate as relevant experience in the IT field lol. I have the standard leadership abilities and personal awards such as LOR's and LOA's but that's about it.
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know this may sound bad, but I watch when I am applying for positions. If it sounds like or is stated weekend work is involved I leave the National Guard off the resume or minimize it on my resume to its own section called military service. I have in the past been beat up by employers over my drill weekends and even worse two week annual training. I also found out that even though they cannot discriminate once hired they can harass you about it and call it performance counseling. It got so bad at one job I had an OMSBUDSMAN come in and negotiate with the company. It did not even solve the problem. It just made them more sneaky in the harrassment. All you can do from that point is complain to management and HR. Trust me when I say it gets nasty at times. If they fire you then you have to directly connect them firing you for being in the reserves and the burden of proof is on you. It is hard to connect the dots lets put it that way. So now I pay close attention to whom I mention reserve service to and I have even taken a job with never mentioning the reserves. Once hired I told them about my obligation and they did not bulk, but who is to say that they would have hired me knowing I was going to be off.

So be careful how you word it and where you present it to. I know it sucks but some employers are real jerks sometimes about people being in the reserves. Especially if they know they are going to have to cover for you or you might be out for an extended period of time and you are a manager. Just a friendly heads up.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always believe in having more than one resume, for ex:

On 'clearancejobs' and 'usajobs', I go into full detail on the work and experience my guard/reserve career has provided to me. On other job boards and enterprise positions I normally only have it under 'other experience'. I am almost certain recruiters stray away from resumes that include current reserve or guard commitment for the scare of having the employee deploy or be absent for a significant amount of time.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I ran into issues about my National Guard service a long time ago but it was for factory work with a weird schedule so I kinda expected to run into issues.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Things are a lot better if you obtain a job working for the DoD or on a DoD contract as they will honor keeping your position, even if you leave for a deployment. I've seen this first hand, working in the public sector. In California, its against the law to fire someone or give away their position, but companies do it all the time without repercussion. So make sure you are aware of your state laws in the event an employer tries to screw you over because of your reserve obligation.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I list my military experience at the bottom of my resume, splitting up active duty and NG time.

I was 11B, so my military experience has absolutely nothing to do with IT. I basically list them as separate jobs, but I keep them both extremely brief since they are not really relevant.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never been hassled about my reserve duty, I have over 10 years in, but these positions have been with larger companies with professional career settings. Personally, rather than just listing your duty, I'd look into possibly trying to locate a bear by unit to transfer for or be promoted into that could better your skillset for your civilian career opportunities. Personally for me I do basic IT Support in my current unit, but once I finish up my year of required time in this duty position (recently promoted), I'm going to try and transfer to a unit that does Information Assurance/Cyber Security. Half of their unit is getting ready to transition to the new 25D Cyber Network Defender MOS.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Got a lot of great responses. I've never had any negative interactions with hiring managers regarding my reserve status, the place I work now has been more than accommodating but I always hated not having it on the resume and just bringing it up during the interview. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I list my military experience at the bottom of my resume, splitting up active duty and NG time.

I was 11B, so my military experience has absolutely nothing to do with IT. I basically list them as separate jobs, but I keep them both extremely brief since they are not really relevant.

Infantry here also. I kept it basic and minimal as well.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???