Options

Enterasys!!!!!somebody help!!!!!

I cannot wrap my f***ing brain around the functionality of Enterasys Switches,in comparision to Cisco Switches.
For example,if you want to place an Cisco interface into vlan10,you'd enter
switchport mode acces vlan 10
switchport mode access

With Enterasys,I would have to tag and untag the vlan/and or the frames leaving the port(s)...I just won't allow myself to figure this crap out!!??

What's the purpose of tagging actual frames?(whereas Cisco tags it,based on the config of the port!!)

Can somebody break it down into "rich dummy" terms??? PLEASE!!!
icon_study.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif

Comments

• Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last Job I worked at I had a Bid for 25 Edge switches and 5 Core switches. Of course being at a school they saw the price quotes from Cisco and Juniper and were like nope! Had the Enterasys rep come in and sell me a bunch the C3 and B3 line and used the stackwise in the core. The equipment works great but man was it a pain to setup every thing. The L3 mode made me want to scream. If your a Cisco guy then you will short circuit trying to config everything. My rep gave me guide that had most of the commands on it. You can take the certification for them but I didn't and wouldn't. Made me wish I bought all used Cisco gear so I could set it up properly. Enterasys is an awesome product but I feel your pain. Egress this and Ingress that..ughh
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
    Exactly!!! I had an instructor tell me that "...data comes into the cauldron and isn't expected to leave...and you control where it goes..."
    Really dude!?!? That's your response?!?! Oh well....time to break some network labs(glad I have equipment to get my hands on). This damn vlan ingress/egress thing is gonna be a mountain to climb...
  • Options
    JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you also sending voice traffic?

The trunks you would tag the data vlan like below:
    set vlan egress "data vlan #" "Port" tagged

For access ports, the data vlan would be untagged
    set vlan egress "data vlan #" "Port" untagged

For Voice, you would tag the voice traffic
    set vlan egress "voice vlan #" "Port" tagged

The equivalent of switchport mode access vlan 10 on an Enterasys would be:

set port vlan "Port"10

For one of my deployments where we deployed Cisco SPA VoIP phones, I also entered:

set lldp port tx-tlv all "Port"
    &
    set lldp port network-policy voice state enable tag tagged vid "voice vlan #" cos 6 dscp 46 "Port"
    2016 Certification Goals:
    CCIE R/S Written: ???
    CCIE R/S Lab: ???
    Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/