Options

Your list of resources for 70-410 and beyond!!

catakcatak Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading through the threads and found so many different responses of what material everyone uses to obtain the 410, however there's so many that it's becoming overwhelming of what to choose from. For instance, allot of threads point to Borntolearn wiki. I've been to the site, but it seems it's more of a blog and stories of success, but nothing substantial on reading or comprehensive study. Also, many posts about virtual academy etc. Can I get a definitive response on key resources that foucus on study material, labs, measure up questions and not just links to hundreds of unsubstantial websites. Please don't take this the wrong way, I certainly appreciate all the help from everyone out there towards the end result of being successful. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets, Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Mark Minasi (Sybex) book and either measureup or transcender test exams plus a lot of labbing are recommended by most on here along with technet and the virtual labs.

There's a lot of content to cover for the exam and no shortcuts unfortunately.

Use the sticky at the top of the forum main page.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree.

1a) Your main resource should be the Sybex book Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Minasi. It's a 1600 page book that covers all 3 exams related to the MCSA: Server 2012 certification.

1b) Preparing for the MCSA: Server 2012 certification will require a bit of hands-on experience (this exam isn't for those that are brand new to IT), as well as a home lab. The lab can be fairly simple and should run fine on desktop hardware. The servers can easily be created using VMs on Windows 8 Hyper-V or VMware Workstation (for example). The book begins by sort of presuming that you already know how to configure an AD DS domain, join other machines to the domain, configure DNS, and configure static IP settings on your servers. Depending on your level of expertise, you may struggle through the first few chapters getting your lab set up. Again, this material and the exams are for administrators with a few years of professional experience under their belts. But even for seasoned admins, the lab is crucial.

2) CBT Nuggets or Pluralsite/Trainsignal would also be another good idea if you learn better through verbal and visual instruction. This would not be a replacement to the book and the lab, but extra material to supplement that. If I'm brand new to a particular technology or product, I like to begin by watching CBT videos to learn the basics. Then once I have a good handle on what I'm dealing with, I move on to the book and the labbing portion of my studies.

3) Technet and Google searches are an invaluable resource which you will find yourself using often.

4) If you don't have much server 2008/2012 experience, consider going the MCSA: Windows 8 route first. The desktop MCSA exams incorporate a fair share of server technologies and may be a better way of easing you into the server material.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    I agree.

1a) Your main resource should be the Sybex book Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Minasi. It's a 1600 page book that covers all 3 exams related to the MCSA: Server 2012 certification.

1b) Preparing for the MCSA: Server 2012 certification will require a bit of hands-on experience (this exam isn't for those that are brand new to IT), as well as a home lab. The lab can be fairly simple and should run fine on desktop hardware. The servers can easily be created using VMs on Windows 8 Hyper-V or VMware Workstation (for example). The book begins by sort of presuming that you already know how to configure an AD DS domain, join other machines to the domain, configure DNS, and configure static IP settings on your servers. Depending on your level of expertise, you may struggle through the first few chapters getting your lab set up. Again, this material and the exams are for administrators with a few years of professional experience under their belts. But even for seasoned admins, the lab is crucial.

2) CBT Nuggets or Pluralsite/Trainsignal would also be another good idea if you learn better through verbal and visual instruction. This would not be a replacement to the book and the lab, but extra material to supplement that. If I'm brand new to a particular technology or product, I like to begin by watching CBT videos to learn the basics. Then once I have a good handle on what I'm dealing with, I move on to the book and the labbing portion of my studies.

3) Technet and Google searches are an invaluable resource which you will find yourself using often.

4) If you don't have much server 2008/2012 experience, consider going the MCSA: Windows 8 route first. The desktop MCSA exams incorporate a fair share of server technologies and may be a better way of easing you into the server material.

Good luck!

This was a very good advice. I didn't know much about server 2012 but after following the book and watching some videos i was able to pick up the information quick. Even tho i failed my first time, i was not to upset on the score since it was very first time taking any exam.

Hopefully in the next couple of week I should be ready for my next exam.

Thanks again for the post.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*