Options

Help desk - next role.

mbrx9mg2mbrx9mg2 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I hope all is well. I was wondering if you could help me out.

I graduated Rutgers university with a Bsc (Hons) Psychology and Mathematics Statistics; I gained a 3.2 GPA. Upon graduation, I obtained my current job working on a help desk for a medium-sized technology company; I've been in the role for 2 years now.

During university and the 2 years I've spent working, I have obtained the following certificates: A+, Network+, Security+, and Linux+.

My question are as follows:

1. When do you think I should make my step the next role? I know this is vague but what is a general guideline?
2. What should my next role be? I've been looking at System Admin roles which I feel will be interested in.
3. Will the fact I didn't study a direct IT degree put me at a disadvantage? My degree did provide me with skills that I could use in a more technical role. Plus, I feel the certificates earned could make up for this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After 2 years do you feel you are still learning and being challenged?

1. If not I'd start looking asap targeting jr sys admin but at least desktop support. Years ago I was looking for a new position about this time of year. I gave 2 weeks to end right before xmas and started the first week of the new year. Is was a very nice transition and couldn't think of a better time of the year to take a little time off of work, plus it works well for taxes. Almost anywhere you work it's either going to be very busy or very slow during that week or two you are off, it's a different story if you get holiday pay and PTO. I think most companies hiring from now until the end of the year would be fine starting in early 2015.
    2. RHEL certs if linux interests you, if windows interests you, MCSA server 2008/2012, not sure which is more relevant currently. I think with your certs linux would be potentially quicker way but you have to have interest in it and the jobs have to be open in your area.
    3. A bit of a disadvantage but it should mostly be minimized with certs. Statistics degree could be relevant, I see how it could really help with subnetting esp powers of 2 but I don't think that's very relevant to sys admin. IME certs teach more technical knowledge then my AS degree but maybe I went to a bad college. Degree to me is more of a sign of responsibility and willingness to finish something.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)