Options

Applied For A Job As IT Team Leader

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I started working in IT at the age of 16 as an apprentice. I worked my way up and i'm now aged 25, with a degree in digital forensics and I work as a security analyst. I've just put in an application for a job as an IT Team Leader. They require a degree and ITIL cert. I've not got ITIL but I understand the concepts of it and I have told them that I intend to study it further and take the exam soon.

Judging by the certs i've listed on my profile and the OSCP i'm currently doing, do you thing I have a chance? I'm kinda worried about them throwing it out because i'm probably too young and haven't had much (any) management experience? I just figured that it'd be a really nice way for me to progress, as ultimately, I would like to become an IT Manager, partly because my own experience with IT Managers hasn't been good, so I wish to change that and be one of the exceptions.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you done things that show leadership? That is a huge part of becoming a manager.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sure you might have a chance, but really depends on what the people interviewing are looking for so hard to say. Most lead positions do not require prior management experience in my experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do you have a job description you can share? That may help paint a better picture.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Have you done things that show leadership? That is a huge part of becoming a manager.

Yes in terms of University. I was a team leader for a group of 4 (5 including myself) and I virtually orchestrated the entire project and got us a First class degree.

Cyberguy I'll PM the job description, but feel free to post back in here what you think :)
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I started working in IT at the age of 16 as an apprentice. I worked my way up and i'm now aged 25, with a degree in digital forensics and I work as a security analyst. I've just put in an application for a job as an IT Team Leader. They require a degree and ITIL cert. I've not got ITIL but I understand the concepts of it and I have told them that I intend to study it further and take the exam soon.

Judging by the certs i've listed on my profile and the OSCP i'm currently doing, do you thing I have a chance? I'm kinda worried about them throwing it out because i'm probably too young and haven't had much (any) management experience? I just figured that it'd be a really nice way for me to progress, as ultimately, I would like to become an IT Manager, partly because my own experience with IT Managers hasn't been good, so I wish to change that and be one of the exceptions.

I thought same way you did... then you become a Manager, and you are what your team always wanted in a Manager, but your stress goes up 1000x dealing with politics, personalities, and getting judged on other people's worth ethic.. and then.. it becomes a sad sad lesson in Corporate America. Hopefully it works out for you though!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    3 positions ago I had a similar role to the one the OP is looking it to get. It taught me one of the most important lessons in my life: that I am not cut for management and will never be a part of it.

If the OP is committed this gig looks like a great stepping stone in that direction. Do you stand a chance? It's really hard to say without knowing the mindset of the employer. Some places won't even consider you if you don't fulfill their requirements. Others will be flexible if you impress them some way. I say do your best convincing them you are the right man for the job.

I've seen people go from office clerk to high level IT managers, so anything is possible.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Honestly ITIL is a joke (aka vocab test), I wouldn't be too worried if that's listed as a requirement.

Just be 110% confident. Start thinking like a team lead and scope things now in the view of how a team lead would operate.
  • Options
    I didn't get the job. I'm actually struggling to get interviews at the moment. I've had two interviews for a very big company, but for a networking engineer role. I've told them my networking isn't up to scratch but they've saw my resume and still want me... Strange, but it's a big company so I might not be able to refuse, as long as the salary is good.

I think the main reason is that I don't have management experience AND I don't have an ITIL cert. I'm really stuck at the moment because I hate my job, but I have to keep working there until something else pops up.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    You hate your job? What exactly does your position require you to do that you hate? It's a security analyst position, I would love to have that type of job.
  • Options
    Justin- wrote: »
    You hate your job? What exactly does your position require you to do that you hate? It's a security analyst position, I would love to have that type of job.

Low paid, LONG, LONG hours (12 hour days as it's a 24/7 operation). Management haven't got the foggiest what an exploit is and think that if we aren't detecting exploits all day, we're doing something wrong (not that there is no one attacking the clients). Trust me, it's not a nice career to be in. Most security analysts end up moving to another area of security at least from my experience.