Options

Thank you and give feedback for unfit position

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently interviewed for a position that lists CCNA/CCNP/MCSE preferred but after coming out of the sloppy interview found there was nothing to do with networking in the position and there was very little chance to advance into the few network positions the company has.

I want to show some professionalism and thank them for the 2 hours they took to meet with me, let them know the position doesn't fit with my studies and goals and offer them some feedback on the job listing and sloppy interview process. Would it be appropriate to do this? If so in what form, phone, email, mail?

I wouldn't be rude and didn't have any personal issues with the interviewers. Some issues that are hard to overlook are; preferring the wrong certs which misled me, no business cards when asked, interviewers coming and going, and not being seen out the door.
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you received an offer? If not, I would let it go. Send a generic thank you note and move on.

A lot of job ads are written by HR or business people that have no idea what IT people do besides spend and cost money. To them "network" means anything to do with a computer network and can include servers, PCs, printers, those funny boxes with the antenna's, fax machines, audio visual equipment, etc and isn't limited to our definition of routers, switches, etc.

What position was it? What duties were listed? What type of company? Big or small?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    There is nothing more annoying than having your time wasted, especially when it involves wasting PTO.

But, you have learned a valuable lesson: verify your perception vs. reality as early in the process as possible. Just because it lists CCNA/CCNP, it also lists MCSE so...seems more JOAT/Sys Admin with a touch of networking (without seeing the whole req).

Now, if it was advertised as a networking position, described networking duties through and through, and THEN had little to nothing to do with networking...yes, I would send them feedback, typically to the recruiter.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah recruiters aren't always that smart. For example, my current workplace only takes people with a 2:1 or First class degree. Well the recruiters have screwed up and let some people slip through the net with terrible spelling on their CV along with 3rd class degrees - yes, 3rd class degrees. Needless to say, I am actively looking for another job. I'm soon to be surrounded by people who barely know how to use a computer and I haven't got the time, nor do I get paid enough to teach them. Recruiters are the bane of my life.
  • Options
    No I haven't been offered a job. Wouldn't a thank you note show further interest in the job? This is not my intent. I understand the HR not understanding networking but if they are going to list CCNA/CCNP/MSCE they really should know what holders of these are looking for, not bug testing and supporting proprietary software.

What I applied for was listed as a technical customer support engineer, they were pushing a representative role on me saying they have both open but I'd only be considered for the representative role. There is no posting for this representative role. I asked questions about the engineer role and they said there was no networking outside of maybe wireshark monitoring between the server and call device, if there's a network issue it's the client's responsibility to resolve. There's a lot of job duties but none stick out as network related. They mention experience with cisco, avaya, nortel voice devices. It's a small software development company that sells to call centers, they have some decent affiliations but seems they aren't experiencing much growth. Both of these are replacement positions, the other 2 reps have been in the same position over a year.

It was direct hire, no recruiter involved.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    techfiend wrote: »
    I want to show some professionalism and thank them for the 2 hours they took to meet with me, let them know the position doesn't fit with my studies and goals

You could do that, but I wouldn't do this:
    and offer them some feedback on the job listing and sloppy interview process.

I feel like it's unlikely that anything good will come from being that honest.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    You could do that, but I wouldn't do this:

I feel like it's unlikely that anything good will come from being that honest.

Agreed. let it go and move on. You never know when you may run into them again for a different position. And next time, ask more questions during the phone screen to avoid this. If you get to the interview and have no idea what the role is, thats not a good thing.
  • Options
    I think I'll wait and not send a thank you note. They weren't very professional but I can see they were trying, so I figure I don't have to be very professional.

I was thinking the feedback would be appreciated, I would do it in a polite manner and not say it was sloppy, just point up some things I was expecting but didn't get. I know I would appreciate interviewers sending me feedback whether bad or good in a professional manner, it would let me focus on strengths and weaknesses.

I had asked quite a few questions on the HR phone interview but received vague answers for the more technical questions like how much networking is involved. I was aware it was supporting call center software which I thought would have network involvement, which it does, but it's strictly the clients responsibility.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

I was thinking the feedback would be appreciated, I would do it in a polite manner and not say it was sloppy, just point up some things I was expecting but didn't get. I know I would appreciate interviewers sending me feedback whether bad or good in a professional manner, it would let me focus on strengths and weaknesses.

Save your effort, it won't be appreciated. Lots of positions are written badly with really jacked up requirements because someone googled "what does a sysadmin do" and pasted the list. If it isn't what you're looking for just move on and don't look back, nothing positive is to be gained by trying to point out their process.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think I'll wait and not send a thank you note. They weren't very professional but I can see they were trying, so I figure I don't have to be very professional.
    QUOTE]

Totally, totally disagree with you on this. Send the thank you note! The worst thing that could happen is they toss it aside; the best is that it might open a door, window, who knows what else in the future. There's no reason - and no excuse - for not sending a thank you note.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    While a thank you note might stand out, I really don't see the company ever having something for me in the future. Seems they have a few sys admins and that's it. I'm aiming more at network engineer, architect or virtualization. It's strictly windows and I'd much rather take the linux route if I find sys admin is eventually more favorable to me.

If I send a thank you note and get offered the job just to decline it, does that send a better message then not sending a note and not being offered?

Also a generic thank you note as in a store bought thank you card or something else? There's a plethora of thank you examples on the web. Some are a sentence or two. Others are 3 paragraphs. The only one's I've done were 4-5 sentences. Also if I only have 2 of the 4 interviewers contact information or names for that matter what do you suggest?
  • Options
    While a thank you note might stand out, I really don't see the company ever having something for me in the future. Seems they have a few sys admins and that's it. I'm aiming more at network engineer, architect or virtualization. It's strictly windows and I'd much rather take the linux route if I find sys admin is eventually more favorable to me.

If I send a thank you note and get offered the job just to decline it, does that send a better message then not sending a note and not being offered?

Also a generic thank you note as in a store bought thank you card or something else? There's a plethora of thank you examples on the web. Some are a sentence or two. Others are 3 paragraphs. The only one's I've done were 4-5 sentences. Also if I only have 2 of the 4 interviewers contact information or names for that matter what do you suggest?

You cant predict the future. You dont know what positions might pop up there. What if the hiring manager gets a new job and another organization and needs to hire a network guy. Wouldnt you want him to say, "huh, i know just the guy." Never burn your bridges.
  • Options
    Currently I'm not a network guy and it'll be years before I am, if I was in that position I can understand making the interview stand out. They interviewed me for a lower level, customer service rep, unlisted position than I applied for, tech support engineer, so they see me as being less than what I think my skills are. They say they want someone that's going to start at the bottom and learn but they also said the current csr's have been there for years, the other csr quit, hence the opening. Is not sending a thank you note really burning bridges? From what I've read online and on this forum thank you notes are uncommon.
  • Options
    Currently I'm not a network guy and it'll be years before I am, if I was in that position I can understand making the interview stand out. They interviewed me for a lower level, customer service rep, unlisted position than I applied for, tech support engineer, so they see me as being less than what I think my skills are. They say they want someone that's going to learn but yet they said the current csr's have been there for years with no advancement, the other csr quit. Is not sending a thank you note really burning bridges? From what I've read online and on this forum thank you notes are uncommon.

I always send a thank you note. I still dont see the downside to doing so. Sure they handled themselves in a manner that you didnt like. But i still dont see why you wouldn't be the bigger person and send a thank you note.
  • Options
    What kind of a thank you note in this situation? Last time it was handwritten to 3 interviewers. This time it was 4 interviewers, 2 I don't have contact info and don't remember one of the names.
  • Options
    What kind of a thank you note in this situation? Last time it was handwritten to 3 interviewers. This time it was 4 interviewers, 2 I don't have contact info and don't remember one of the names.

I would just send a simple email to the people whose contact info you have thanking them for taking the time to meet with you. Ideally you want to try and get contact info for everyone you meet with.
  • Options
    Interview was on Thursday, okay to do it tomorrow?

I asked the other 2 if they had a way to contact them, like a business card and they said nope. I didn't press it.
  • Options
    Interview was on Thursday, okay to do it tomorrow?

I asked the other 2 if they had a way to contact them, like a business card and they said nope. I didn't press it.
    I would do it as soon as possible.
  • Options
    cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No I haven't been offered a job. Wouldn't a thank you note show further interest in the job? This is not my intent. I understand the HR not understanding networking but if they are going to list CCNA/CCNP/MSCE they really should know what holders of these are looking for, not bug testing and supporting proprietary software.

What I applied for was listed as a technical customer support engineer, they were pushing a representative role on me saying they have both open but I'd only be considered for the representative role. There is no posting for this representative role. I asked questions about the engineer role and they said there was no networking outside of maybe wireshark monitoring between the server and call device, if there's a network issue it's the client's responsibility to resolve. There's a lot of job duties but none stick out as network related. They mention experience with cisco, avaya, nortel voice devices. It's a small software development company that sells to call centers, they have some decent affiliations but seems they aren't experiencing much growth. Both of these are replacement positions, the other 2 reps have been in the same position over a year.

It was direct hire, no recruiter involved.

All those certs for a call center job?? GTFO if I were you man lol. Honestly if they list all of that for a call center position not even focused on networking, unless your hurting for a job, i'd look elsewhere
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • Options

If you know you don't want to work there, send them a note thanking them for the opportunity, and ask them to remove your candidacy from consideration. That way, you aren't wasting their time as well.

Just a simple card will work, use blue ink, and handwrite a few sentences thanking them for them opportunity to discuss the position with you, but to remove you from consideration. Thank them for their time, and wish them best of luck in filling the position.

As for why, when you know there's not a return in it for you? Couple of reasons - like pinky said, you don't know if there's a return on it for you in the future... and even if there's not, it's just a nice thing to do. People DO appreciate them.
  • Options
    I was unexpectedly busy today so didn't write one. I can buy thank you cards tomorrow but they won't recieve it until next week. Still worth it?
  • Options
    I was unexpectedly busy today so didn't write one. I can buy thank you cards tomorrow but they won't recieve it until next week. Still worth it?
    you are over thinking this. send an email.
  • Options

Yes.

Padding since there is a 7 char minimum in a post.
  • Options
    I'll send an email this time and maybe from now on. Is it appropriate to let a company that you've interviewed for that you've accepted another offer via email or would that be better over the phone? Also what subject for the email in this situation. I'm thinking 'Thank you' has the chance of being skipped over and wouldn't be surprised with this company.

EDIT: I sent the email taking colemic's suggestions on what to write. Thanks all for the suggestions, I'm a novice at all of this but improving. Hopefully my search is almost over, feel good about 2 positions that I'd love to do currently.

Another that I interviewed for today was a mirror opposite of the aforementioned job listing. It was listed as mainly android app support and workstation replacement. Turns out it's very little of the former, some of the latter but they are trying to find someone that wants to learn esx, san and cisco ios because the guy currently doing it is leaving in a few months. Will send an email today to them, I only briefly met the ceo, about a minute, is it appropriate to send him an email as well?

EDIT2: Sent a thank you email to the interviewer and the ceo. My perfectionism is showing a lot on this topic. I'll make sure to pass it on.
  • Options
    Glad you took our advice... I promise you, if you make it a habit, it will pay dividends in the future.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    While I'm not defending the company, Windows Sys Admins with CCNP level knowledge will make a better admin, every day, compared to a Windows admin with only a MCSE/MCITP.
  • Options
    I received a thank you and congratulations from the company emailed a few weeks ago. I've also replied to everyone contacting me since then about job opportunities, the 2 companies so far have replied back thanking me. The few recruiters haven't replied so I'm going to only reply to companies from now on. I pretty much lost all contact with the recruiters I interviewed with, they had jobs lined up for me but never got back to me.

CCNP level? Ya probably but if someone has only really worked on windows desktops and makes a living configuring cisco with a CCNP, the MCSE/MCITP would be better fit for windows sys admin wouldn't they?

Then again, on my fifth day of work today I started training on active directory, which seems to be relatively easy to grasp but that's nothing compared to powershell which is kind of taking over.