Options

MSE: When limiting a Resource pool for a DC MSE will freak out!

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

maybe this will be helpful for one of you.

I found out a little while ago when you make a resource pool for a 2008 R2 or 2012 R2 DC and you limit the CPU to only 1000 mhz with only 2 GB's are a reservation it will cause MSE to literally freaking the frig out and max's the CPU!

I figured why allocate a full 8 GB's of memory or even 4 GB's to a DC for my home network if all it does it sustain the domain and DHCP/DNS, so I limited it's resources drastically and saved a boat-load of resources while at the same time not increasing the page file to drastically....

...However I've found when you do this you make Microsoft Security Essential freak the frig out!

I use Malwarebytes on all my servers over MSE so I just did this....

To disable Microsoft Security Essentials:

Reboot Server and press F8 to boot into Safe Mode, login with local administrator info.

Open the application (click the icon in the task-bar, find it from the start menu or navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe)

From the control panel, go to the ‘Settings’ tab Un-tick the ‘Turn on real-time protection’ checkbox and Microsoft Security Essentials is now disabled, then I just rebooted the server (VM) and now the server isn't even using 200mhz (might reduce the CPU reservation even more!!!) and/or more than 700 MB's of RAM.