Options

Thoughts on this employment strategy

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
In the next week or two I will be sitting down with my boss to talk about a career progression plan.

A couple of items to note.

I am relatively new to this industry however the role I am experienced in
I have done a pretty bang up job.
My boss wants to hear my plan moving forward.

My strategy is this and I wanted to see what you thought and if it makes sense from an outsiders perspective.

Right now I am currently a business analyst with a senior designation but they qualify it different than senior.

My next step is to move into a project management role and she and I have already talked about that. In fact her direct manager thinks its a good idea as well, no time line set in place yet. *** In fact at an introductory meeting I was announced as the PM, even though I am a BA. In short management wants me to move into this role sooner than later.

Okay so that is pretty cut and dry not much to comment on.

Well I want to forecast out another 2 roles and wanted to see what you thought about these.

Next in line is a product manager/application owner (here is where I am looking for some feed back). We have a in-house grown application that is growing and being leveraged more and more. Several 2015 projects will include building on new modules and enhancements to this application. I want to be the website owner handling all software development projects that go through the "portal" web application. I want to move away from a project manager title as soon as possible, I find being scoped into a product to be more aligned with my personality type and interest.

My first question is would that be considered a product manager or application owner? I want to have my t's crossed and I's dotted that's why I am asking, I want to make sure I don't ruffle feathers needlessly. ***My friend who is a technical sales director thought that roll sounded more like a technical architect. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Where can you go from a product management / application owner / technical architect? Thanks for you time.

Thanks