Options

Need help. site-to-site VPN

SVSV Member Posts: 166
Hi,

We are planning to establish a site-to-site VPN connection using our PIX 515 (OS version 6.3) to a remote site that uses PIX 506e. I am sure that our's support 3DES encryption and their's only DES. Most propably they are still using an older version of OS. Does any one know what should be the minimum OS that is required at the PIX 506 end?

Is there any website that talks about it?

I have posted about the same in the CCSP site too.

Thanks
Life is a journey...

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    3DES was included as far back as IOS 5.0 so that wont be your problem. The problem with the PIX IOS is that the license is different, when you buy a pix from new you either buy an unrestricted license $$$$$ or a restricted license, the Restricted license has a limit on what features are available, heres an example

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(1)
    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Disabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
    Maximum Interfaces: 2
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Unlimited
    IKE peers: Unlimited

This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.

yours obviously has 3DES disabled, so you need to upgrade, if you have a cco account you can get on and get a new activation key for more features.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    By the way, SV.....you can see the output of what wildfire showed you above by typing in "sh ver" on your firewall. That way you'll know for sure what your firewalls are licensed for.
  • Options
    forbesl , wildfire,

I am extremely sorry for the delay in response. Just caught up in few things. I am really sorry.

Yah.... both DES and 3DES is enabled when I use "sh ver".

Will you be able to tell me what will be the command I should be using if I used the following?

My private IP range 192.168.10.0/24
    Public IP of my PIX 20.20.20.20

Other PIX's outside IP 30.30.30.30
    Their internal IP range 192.168.11.0/24

We will be using a pre-shared key , esp-md5-hmac
    Life is a journey...
  • Options
    I have seen this site before and have configured my PIX accordingly. But when I try to ping 192.168.11.5, I don't think even any try to establish a tunnel is happening.

I tried show crypto ipsec sa

============
    #pkts encaps: 0, #pkts encrypt: 0, #pkts digest 0
    #pkts decaps: 0, #pkts decrypt: 0, #pkts verify 0
    #pkts compressed: 0, #pkts decompressed: 0
    #pkts not compressed: 0, #pkts compr. failed: 0, #pkts decompress failed: 0
    #send errors 5, #recv errors 0
    =============

We allready have a site-to-site VPN connection with another site that was configured and used for a while ( I was not the one who configured it). Are two VPN connections possible?

Thanks,

Shiju
    Life is a journey...
  • Options
    SV wrote:
    We allready have a site-to-site VPN connection with another site that was configured and used for a while ( I was not the one who configured it). Are two VPN connections possible?
    Yes, but you need will need two crypto maps (with separate access lists applied to each map). Check this out:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a0080093bd3.shtml
  • Options
    Webmaster, any way you can move this thread to the CCSP forum?
  • Options
    Hi forbesl , wildfire,

Thanks a lot for all your help. Initially I did post it in the CSSP site. But there was not response.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11868

Finally, I was able to get it working. The doc I used is:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_61/config/sit2site.htm#10223

There was some issues from the other site when they tried to configure it. But its done now.

I really thank you both for all your help.

SV
    Life is a journey...