Options

Wgu

ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
*No clue who changed the title to the thread, but this is thread is mostly about transfer credit experience.*

My situation:
I'm looking at attending WGU within the next 3-6 months. However, I do NOT want to take redundant core curriculum courses--English, Humanities, etc. I already have a Bachelor's degree, so proving proficiency is not an issue. I have to get MSCA: Win 8 as a part of my current job. My current job will also pay for almost ANY Microsoft cert, so picking up Server 2012 isn't a problem either. My job will also cover a large portion of the costs for me to go which is why I'm considering going back to school.

My questions:
1) If you've had a Bachelor's prior to starting WGU, was it worth anything in transfer credits? Did it at least get you out of the basic classes?
2) Out of MSFT certs, what is worth it for me to get certified in (outside of what I've already listed) for transfer credits?
3) From what I've read BS:IT-NA is a better move for me credit wise. However, I'm more an Info Sec person. Should I just go for the BS: IT-NA and pick up CEH, CISSP, etc along the road, or should I get the SEC focus?
4) I'm ineligible for Pell Grants since I already have a Bachelor's. Is it common for people to get scholarships or grants at WGU? (I already have crap loads of student loans, so I'm trying to avoid adding any more to the pile.)

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your current Bachelor's should waive the Gen Ed classes, see previous threads where people have transferred in their Associates Degree.

I started doing BS:IT-NA this summer before they updated it, I transferred in the MCITP:EA for 39 credits, a current Security+ for another 6 along with previous college credits. Their transfer policy is pretty generous for current certifications and previous college work.

If cost is a serious concern knock out some the certifications for IT-NA on the employer's tab then apply. Be careful though, there is a minimum amount of CU's you have to take through them to earn your B.S. - cant remember the #, check their website or ask an enrollment counselor.

You probably want to talk to the Financial Aid Dept at WGU for #4. I do know they can do monthly payment plans over the 6 month term.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest to not get another Bachelors degree and to go through a Masters program instead, especially with your student loans situation.
  • Options
    I would love to skip it all and just get a Master's, however, my current degree is unrelated and would not qualify for a Master's in this field. (And a Master's in the field it's related to would be worthless.)

I'm only seriously considering a Bachelor's from WGU because of the accompanying certs, possibly low timetable for completion (high credit transfer looks possible), and that my job will foot most of the bill.

I might look into the payment plan since returning to school would put my current loans on deferment again. Something I'm not excited about, but willing to live with.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also agree that, if at all possible, go for a masters in IT rather than a second bachelors degree. Talk to an enrollment counselor about that option before concluding that you aren't eligible. You might be surprised.

BTW, what is your bachelors degree in? You may be able to leverage that degree toward furthering your IT career. Having a bachelors degree in and of itself can be a huge benefit.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with others that you should consider a masters. The time to complete both will likely be similar. I am very strongly considering WGU, as with my Poly Sci bachelors, most universities would make me take an ungodly amount of prerequisites to get a Masters. WGU will admit me into a Masters program with my work experience and certifications, no year + of extra work.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    This is a very timely post... I too am considering a Bachelors degree from WGU, even though, I already have a BS in a non-technical field. I also have a Masters degree in Public Administration.

I hear people say to just skip the Bachelors and get a Masters degree in IT. Which in theory sounds great... however, people don't realize that with a Masters degree one can often be considered over-qualified for a position. Yeah, I know... it's silly.

So, why I am wanting to get another Bachelors? Simple, there are plenty of jobs out there which clearly state that a Bachelors in IT or related technical field is required. Period. No exceptions.

I've been working in the field for over 15 years, but still receive slack when wanting to apply for other positions, due to me not having a technical degree. I figure I can solve this problem by going to WGU... Sure, I'm not thrilled about doing more school work - however, WGU's courses seem a lot more fun than a traditional computer science degree.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    people don't realize that with a Masters degree one can often be considered over-qualified for a position.

This is a good point. If you are trying to get your first job, or are relatively new, a Masters could overqualify you for those positions, but higher level positions could still be out of reach due to lack of experience. However, if you have a few years of experience, my opinion is get the Masters, and leave jobs that consider a Masters to be overqualified behind.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I would go for the masters...
    However, I dont see how they wouldn't waive the General ED classes (unless you havent taken some of them).
    meh
  • Options
    deanofpledgesdeanofpledges Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes go for the Masters if you can. If you have a boatload of student debt, might as well go and get your Masters. Will your employer reimburse you at all for tuition?

I just earned my degree from WGU in October and I was also doing the payment plan. For those of you worried about a Master's Degree making you over-qualified, just leave the Master's degree off the resume. Get your foot in the door of whatever company you want to work for, then revise your resume.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For those of you worried about a Master's Degree making you over-qualified, just leave the Master's degree off the resume. Get your foot in the door of whatever company you want to work for, then revise your resume.

Their concern is that they don't have a technical degree in the first place. If they are going to leave off an MS in IT, they still won't have a technical degree on their resume and defeat the purpose of getting the MS in the first place.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd also recommend going for a Masters. My undergrad is in Military History, which is about as unrelated as you can get, and I thought briefly about pursuing a second bachelors in CS - you can probably find my thread asking for advice about that here on the forum - but I was unanimously advised by TechExams and my friends, family, coworkers, and boss to just go straight for a masters. Nobody really cares about the undergrad if you have a relevant graduate degree, a couple of certs, and some job experience. If you're interested in WGU, I would recommend that you look into the MSISA - it will be more closely aligned with InfoSec than some other degrees and will get you CEH and CHFI, as well as prepare you for the CISSP (a lot of the courses are aligned to one or more CISSP domains such as Cryptography).
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    I'd also recommend going for a Masters. My undergrad is in Military History, which is about as unrelated as you can get, and I thought briefly about pursuing a second bachelors in CS - you can probably find my thread asking for advice about that here on the forum - but I was unanimously advised by TechExams and my friends, family, coworkers, and boss to just go straight for a masters. Nobody really cares about the undergrad if you have a relevant graduate degree, a couple of certs, and some job experience. If you're interested in WGU, I would recommend that you look into the MSISA - it will be more closely aligned with InfoSec than some other degrees and will get you CEH and CHFI, as well as prepare you for the CISSP (a lot of the courses are aligned to one or more CISSP domains such as Cryptography).

Thanks. This was the response I was looking for. My degree is in the same ballpark, not history, but Lib Arts. Once I get my MCSA and Server cert down, I'm going to talk to a WGU counselor about the Master's since I didn't know that it offered CEH as a cert.