ccna job /career

snadeemsnadeem Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys
I have done my electrical engg and recently i came to know about networking . I am thinking about getting in networking .Is it a good career option . And what is scope of ccna . which industries do i need to apply for starting my career in networking .
Do i need apply at internet services providers ?

Thanks

Comments

• Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Hi mate,

I'd say that networking and the various related tracks are a good career choice. Normally CCENT/CCNA is where most people start and this would be a great building block for somebody with no industry experience. Be realistic about what jobs you can get with just a CCNA and no experience - maybe start looking for helpdesk type jobs or possibly junior NOC type roles.

Bare in mind that certification alone isn't a ticket to a great job, you need the experience to match as well. I have been working in a voice/data networking role for nearly 4 years and I have only just completed my CCENT and will soon be taking the CCNA.

I don't work for an ISP so I can't say but I'd say it's unlikely they would take you on as a network engineer if you just had a CCNA with no experience. Like I say start small and get the certs, get an entry level job to build experience and move on when you outgrow the role.

Also find out what interests you with regard to networking - it could be R&S, voice, data centre, service provider etc... When you find something that really excites you give it your all!

There's a lot of experience on this site so any questions just ask.

Good luck bud!
  • snadeemsnadeem Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thx Alex for advice
  • Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't work for an ISP either. But I have a friend who got hired at one and they made it a condition of his employment that he complete the CCIE within 2 years. He had the CCNP already and was preparing for the CCIE written at the time. So I don't think a CCNA will get you in the door without some impressive experience. But if you landed a Junior NOC role with a CCNA and 0xp you'd be wise to take it.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    ccna with no experience , means you'll need to pay your dues in help desk or junior noc type position.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my BA in Business Admin in Information Systems and recently acquired my CCNA. Although I have some help desk experience from a job at my school, I think I won't land that good job until I get some real-world experience. With CCNA + a degree you still need to start from the bottom to get experience. You're looking at NOC tech, jr. system admin, it support, network tech type positions etc.
  • davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's still as hard as ever to get your foot in.

I just had an interview for a contract to perform Windows XP to Windows 7 migrations. It was really basic stuff, it wouldn't even require knowledge of User State Migration Tool, just Windows Easy Transfer. I still got passed over in favor of candidates who had more official experience.

The guy even asked me if I would be comfortable connecting a new desktop to a network, and I have a CCNA on my resume. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    davenull wrote: »
    It's still as hard as ever to get your foot in.

I just had an interview for a contract to perform Windows XP to Windows 7 migrations. It was really basic stuff, it wouldn't even require knowledge of User State Migration Tool, just Windows Easy Transfer. I still got passed over in favor of candidates who had more official experience.

The guy even asked me if I would be comfortable connecting a new desktop to a network, and I have a CCNA on my resume. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ouch. I got lucky and that was my first official (in my mind at least) IT job (migrating XP to 7). Although I put down protonic.com and worked at a call center doing password resets and basic browser troubleshooting, so I guess that's technically experience. With a CCNA and A+, I think you'd be more than qualified for that.