New Career - What Certs For Beginner, No Work Experience- UK.

Hello and sorry in advance as I am sure this has been asked many times before but the info I am reading is not really helping my personal situation and decision.

I am male, nearly 39, live in the UK. I used to work in the fitness industry but had to stop due to injury. I have always been around computers since a young age and enjoy working with them but never followed it into a career, now I would like to. More hands on with hardware and stuff, so networks etc, rather than spending day after day administrating group policies and answering questions all day on the phone!! I am pretty computer literate, i do not programme or code.

I am doing my A+ exams next week but I am getting rather confused what I should do next???
Original plan was Network+, but I keep reading that CompTIA is really just a rip off with very over priced exams and that maybe I should just skip it and work on CCNA instead?
Also now I have been seeing that maybe having Security+ would look good and help get that first network admin job along with A+ and Network+?

I am not currently working so need to get some certs to put on my CV and get and that first job sooner rather than later and then work on the harder, more time consuming certs once I am working and earning. I know it would be to my advantage to get some MS certs also in the future and I would be looking at MCSA Server Infrastructure 2012 to work at, but right now, what path should I be looking to take....???

More CompTIA - Network+ & Security+?
Skip Comptia and get CCNA as quickly as possible? Also is a small Cisco set-up of about 4 or 5 units needed/a good idea for CCNA?
None of the above and move onto getting the MCSA?

Really could use some feedback and advice with this.. I do not have loads of spare cash for loads of exams and I really need to get some certs and get and position asap.

Thanks a lot.
Stewart.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMO A+ and CCNA gives you a heck of a starting point. Eventually you are going to have to apply and get that break. You'll learn the most by actually doing the job.

Good luck
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VERY unlikely that you won't have to do a few years of Windows Server admin / Help Desk if you want to get a proper networking job..

For the CCNA you'll only need 2 switches (trunks etc..) and a Router or two
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA gets mixed reviews. They are not advanced certifications they are meant to get your foot in the door. If you are not working you might be better served with Net+ rather then CCNA because you can get it quicker. However the CCNA would hold more value in the future.

Don't let the cost of the exam keep you from advancing your future. If you don't see a demand for Net+ in the job ads that interest you then skip it. But if you see a lot of ads requesting it then considering getting it.

There is a counter argument often presented that a CCNA with no experience is just as useless. So you risk companies overlooking you for that reason too. I think the answer is different for everyone but acquiring the knowledge and getting the first job are the critical things. You have to start somewhere.
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I think I will go ahead with CCNET next and then get part to for my complete CCNA.
    I feel it will be better for the CV and CompTIA does seem stupidly expensive for what it is.
    CCNA Security also instead of CompTIA Security+
  • EoinCrippsEoinCripps Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sferg410, I don't know if it's an option for you, but if I had to start over my networking certs all over again, I'd be looking at CCNA & I'd pay no attention at all to CompTIA stuff. I will say it's been 15+ years since I did those ones, so maybe their standards have improved.
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    thanks for that, unfortunately i have already paid for 2 vouchers to do the CompTIA A+ !!
    CompTIA only have a 3 year shelf life now before expiring....