Free Computers?!

drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need to pad my resume a bit, and can't seem to find any tech related volunteering in my area, so I got to thinking.

I'm going to try and get pc parts donated through my local Freecycle group, and then build PCs to donate to schools and other charitable organizations.

Now, my questions are these :

1. Is this a good idea?
2. Can I put something like this on my resume?
3. Are there any other ways that I can get pc parts donated to me?

Thanks a bundle

Comments

• Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I never knew of such a thing, but I just signed up for my local area.

I can think of one major problem with this. You probably won't be getting an OS key on older pc's. If the OS is still on the hard drive and you can boot to it, you can retrieve the number with a number of different free programs and write that down for a reinstall. You don't want to be using illegal OS's for a school or charity because that definitely wouldn't look good. I'd guess the majority of the pc's will have Windows 9x on them. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Other than possible OS situations, I think it is a good idea to get a number of builds and installs under your belt. The tough part will be prioritizing by who has the greatest need!
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just use a free OS like Linux or Sun. They come with a lot of free software also which would also help the poor, because they would not have to buy word etc.
  • drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go Bucks wrote:
    I can think of one major problem with this. You probably won't be getting an OS key on older pc's. If the OS is still on the hard drive and you can boot to it, you can retrieve the number with a number of different free programs and write that down for a reinstall. You don't want to be using illegal OS's for a school or charity because that definitely wouldn't look good. I'd guess the majority of the pc's will have Windows 9x on them. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I was actually considering calling Microsoft and seeing if they would donate cd-keys for windows 9x systems...
    drthtater wrote:
    I was actually considering calling Microsoft and seeing if they would donate cd-keys for windows 9x systems...

It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You know how they can be icon_moneyeyes.gif You could go the Linux route, but I think most people would rather have a Windows 9x system than Linux. Not having to worry about the OS is a major draw though.

I think it's a great idea that gets you experience and a school or organizations a computer.
    There have been many talks about microsoft making all their products free because they are competing with open source, and thus have lost a lot of money over the years. They would start making money just off of ads, but anyways.

Microsoft has several programs where you can get any microsoft software for free of charge. I know this because my uni currently has one of these programs. So if you were to make an abundance of computers for the "poor", I am sure they would work something out with you.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is the free program?? Normally Microsoft charges a one time fee that allows all, as in unlimited, students and faculty to get the software for free. The university presses the disks and you get them in the book store. But as far as I know it is not free to the university as that one time charge is quite high. It protects the university from priacy problems. Normally you used to see the various conquests by Microsoft blanket sales in the trade press.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    I don't think Microsoft is giving out free software. There are a lot of different ways to get their software for different prices. If you are a student you can get the software from your college or university (if they participate in that Microsoft program) but you can use it only for your own computer therefore you would not be able to install it on computers that you are giving away.
    Non for profit organizations are able to get Microsoft software really cheap because Bill Gates and his family are big believers in charity.
    If you want to spend $200 or $300 for 1 year you can get all software from Microsoft through their Action Pack subscription. If you want to study any Microsoft product that would be the way to go. You will be able to use the software for a year and then you have to pay the subscription again.
    You can buy OEM software cheap but you have to purchase a piece of hardware with it. A lot of online retailers bundle OEM software with an audio cable for a CD-ROM drive and therefore fulfill the requirement for the OEM agreement. Tigerdirect.com sells their software like that…..

If you want to work on computers just spend a few bucks on a couple PC’s yourself (buy them on ebay) and build your own network at home and play around with it.

To put something on your resume maybe open your own consulting company on the side and put the information on your resume. That way you can put something on your resume and you can use whatever you have done for family members and friends. When you get an interview you can tell them that you have done computer work with your own company and what you have done. At least that gets you the foot in the door and if you have taken the time to study and learn you should be fine and get a entry level job.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    Yeah, there is a one time fee for membership of this program. But I was saying it is free for any Student at the university. No matter how many keys/software packages you want, you could get. :)

If you contacted a microsoft rep about what you are doing, im sure they would make a deal with you if you could prove you were giving to charity etc.
    My school lets you purchase one copy of each of the software available. I bought XP Pro for $10 and Office for $15. Not a bad deal for $25, but you are limited to 1 per student.

I agree with german that starting your own company is a great idea even if you only plan on doing it for family and friends to start. It seems like word of mouth would get you a few jobs here and there, but the big bonus is you have supervisory/management experience. Go to your state's website and look up the requirements and licenses you need to be legit for starting your own business. Who knows, it might turn into something big down the road.