Options

IT / Network troubleshooting interview questions

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody,

I have a job interview tomorrow for a sysadmin position running their proprietary software for hospital systems (PACS). A friend of mine works for them, and told me to brush up on networking and troubleshooting.

Can any of you help me out thinking of what to brush up on, or some Networking/Troubleshooting interview questions? I want to display an ability to think systematically.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would stick to the basics..

-Be familiar with the OSI model especially layers 1-3
    -How does a switch work (broadcast and collision domains). Know your switching in general
    -Vlans and inter vlan routing
    -Know the ins and outs of spanning tree
    -TCP vs UDP
    -Difference between a hub, switch, and a router

Great question I was asked during my interview at Meraki was "what happens when you go to google.com?" They also asked me to draw a sample network and gave me a few troubleshooting scenarios based on my diagram. Always start your troubleshooting from layer one and work your way up.

Keep in mind, the questions may be simple and depending on your responses the interviewer may go deeper. Good luck!
  • Options
    RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much, broli. Those are some really great pointers!

I think if I really think things through, and don't forget my basics, display a step-by-step thought process, I should do well. I've been "cramming" CBTNugget CCNA videos over the past few weeks before even being contacted about this opportunity. So a lot of this is fairly fresh in my mind.
  • Options
    Tas299Tas299 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    I would stick to the basics..

-Be familiar with the OSI model especially layers 1-3
    -How does a switch work (broadcast and collision domains). Know your switching in general
    -Vlans and inter vlan routing
    -Know the ins and outs of spanning tree
    -TCP vs UDP
    -Difference between a hub, switch, and a router

Great question I was asked during my interview at Meraki was "what happens when you go to google.com?" They also asked me to draw a sample network and gave me a few troubleshooting scenarios based on my diagram. Always start your troubleshooting from layer one and work your way up.

Keep in mind, the questions may be simple and depending on your responses the interviewer may go deeper. Good luck!

Hello, I hope you can still reply after such a long time. I am having an interview with Meraki. Do they ask extensively about wireless concepta as well or mostly standard wires layer 1-3? What depth sp they go into ? Cli/packet bits/captures or just detailed concepts with diagrams/scenarios? Do they target experienced people ? I'm a junior engineer. You would be really helpful if you could reply and if possible PM. Many thanks inadvance.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Tas299...I would do a google search for meraki presentation. The first several links will probably be very beneficial. By the way, welcome to the forums and good luck with your interview!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Tas299Tas299 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Stryder. I had my first phone interview was interesting what they asked for a phone interview which shows what will follow on face to face. Within 30min they managed to ask about switch/router difference, intervlan routing, router on a stick, vlan/trunk tagging, network services, how you start t/s an issue, stp/rstp and a witeshark question. Im scared of what is going to follow. I'm a junior engineer with basic t/s and good deep understanding of the technologies. I really need to find what Meraki is after so I know where to focus my preparation for 2nd interview. If in the end they really want a non-experienced but sharp person ie think on their feet with the information they have/know then i will not go well as i dont have the hands on to backup my approach in answering.