Options

Finally got a new job!! but heck am i nervous!!??

King_84King_84 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Finally got a new job as an 'Infrastructure Engineer' and will be starting after my notice period at my current job. So happy but.....

..bloody heck I feel so nervous. I keep questioning myself. The interview went well wasn't too technical and they liked me.

I feel partially confident. I keep questioning myself about whether I can do the job, will they train and develop me?

The company is a fairly large ISP.

What are your thoughts? What are your experiences of starting a new job feeling like me?

Responses will be appreciated.

Ta

Comments

• Options
    RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, they will train you. Think of a company like a sports team - you have to learn their playbook, but they expect you to know some of the fundamentals.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    It's all normal and it's good to hear you are nervous and question yourself technically, afterall getting a new job should be about a new challenge. They will train you in some ways for sure as all companies have their own processes and procedures, continue to invest in yourself through study/certification.

Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll be alright...

When I got accepted for the position that I have now, I was nervous. My boss is awesome and is willing to teach.
    I did go a little crazy and started to do AD stuff and read about it. I started to work and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Just be nervous but go do what you need to do as best as you can. Dig deep and get the courage, you'll be alright.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    thanks for the responses. Definitely feel better now. Maybe feeling nervous will avoid me being complacent.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take notes at work when you are being taught new things. Then in your free time or at home, you can study up on them. Congrats!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just be confident and willing to learn and you'll be good!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Follow the companies processes, test everything to the best of your ability prior to implementation in production, and learn as much as you can both while at work and in your free time and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    cyber_fan_montereycyber_fan_monterey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for the new job! Anxiety shows that you are on the right track and you are serious about that. I think you will be just fine. I just wonder How come they don't ask you technical questions though?
    MSc in Information Technology Management
    Focus in IT Security
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    King_84 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Finally got a new job as an 'Infrastructure Engineer' and will be starting after my notice period at my current job. So happy but.....

..bloody heck I feel so nervous. I keep questioning myself. The interview went well wasn't too technical and they liked me.

I feel partially confident. I keep questioning myself about whether I can do the job, will they train and develop me?

The company is a fairly large ISP.

What are your thoughts? What are your experiences of starting a new job feeling like me?

Responses will be appreciated.

Ta

Why are you nervous? What areas are you nervous about? If it is technical, you can read up and learn it. If it is just a culture shift then nothing you can do about that. Only be nervous about the areas you can effect...
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Why are you nervous? What areas are you nervous about? If it is technical, you can read up and learn it. If it is just a culture shift then nothing you can do about that. Only be nervous about the areas you can effect...

I'm nervous about the technical side of things. I think i know enough to start the job well and progress but still a little nervous :)

In case i struggle!!
  • Options
    Congrats for the new job! Anxiety shows that you are on the right track and you are serious about that. I think you will be just fine. I just wonder How come they don't ask you technical questions though?

They didnt ask hardcore technical questions but what technologies i've used etc etc.
  • Options
    RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! I understand where you're coming from. You're worried you'll walk in there on your first day and discover they're speaking a different language and expect you to know everything they know! haha I started my current job about 9 months ago and it definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone but my boss is awesome. Heck, I even had a "mentor" for my first month teaching me the in/ outs of the company and all the technical stuff that was going to be required. You'll do fine.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    Congrats! I understand where you're coming from. You're worried you'll walk in there on your first day and discover they're speaking a different language and expect you to know everything they know! haha I started my current job about 9 months ago and it definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone but my boss is awesome. Heck, I even had a "mentor" for my first month teaching me the in/ outs of the company and all the technical stuff that was going to be required. You'll do fine.

Exactly how i feel. Hope i get the same as you. Don't really want to look like an idiot if i'm introduced to stuff that i'm not too confident with. Hope not :)